California San Francisco-Oakland Mission

I am Austin Hill. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the San Francisco/Oakland Mission Spanish speaking. I entered the Missionary Training Center on January 18, 2012. I am there for 8 weeks of language training. I will then serve in the San Francisco/Oakland areas for the rest of my 2 years. I am excited for this opportunity. This blog is updated by my mom. I am busy working, so she is doing it. She will post letters, emails and pictures that I send her.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

What a week: riots, flooding and a baptismal date. (pictures too!)

Dear Family,

That is really sad about Tyler. I can't believe that happened. I hope he is doing well and he will be able to get back out. That is really tough. I will keep him in my prayers. 

This last week we had our own set of Oakland problems but nothing like that. Because of that killing of sorts in Florida, riots broke out big time in Downtown Oakland. Luckily we don't work usually a lot there because its the city. We did get a call from one of the Cambodian companionships telling us that there was a huge riot going on. We called some of the bike Elders that work down there and told them that they need to get back to their apartment and stay there. We texted president to let him know and he texted back to call him once we had everyone checked on and secured. We called the missionaries and made sure everyone was good and then I called back President to let him know that everyone was safe. He told me he knew about the riots that they were going to come, he just forgot to check on everyone with everything else going on. He said, "I'm sorry Elder, but the only two cities that got violent were LA and Oakland." The Riots lasted 3 days or so and then died off. There lots of broken windows and things (fires) and Helicopters and riot police running around. All is good though. So yes my doctors appointment is coming up soon and that will be good. I have been feeling great. 

Monday: We taught one of our less active members sister Barrera quickly in one of her friends homes. Her friend didn't really have to much interest in listening to us. Right after that we headed to go visit Edgar and that is when all the riot calls came in so I was busy making a ton of calls and making sure all of the missionaries were all safe. We taught Edgar that night and it went well. The member that came with us gave Edgar a blessing of health. We then tried to help him resolve some of his concerns with not wanting to continue. He gets so down on himself over the weekend because his wife makes it so hard for him. The real concern came out though about the Word of Wisdom. It was an interesting concern because it was more about why can't he use the natural thing such as the actual bean of coffee and things like that. He was a little confused between like processing substances such as tobacco and other uses of it. We whipped out D&C 89 and that helped him see that God made everything for a purpose. 

Tuesday: Today was the craziest day ever. My companion woke up at 4:30 in the morning to turn off the shower that seemed to be dripping water. When we woke up in the morning the bathroom was flooding. The ceiling was just dripping with water and the hallway was soaking wet. We called our apartment manager and he came over and saw it and called the disaster people to come. We had to leave our apartment at like 8 in the morning and run over to the Chinese Elders and shower. After that, we then just felt like orphans and went around Oakland trying to visit people but no one is around at those hours of the morning. We picked up some food from a member and then ran up to the mission office and ate it and then worked on some of the English class registrations and also to figure out the address of the chapel in Santa Rosa where Edgar could go when he is up their with his wife.

After that we had our Zone planning for our Zone meeting the next day. It went really well and we were really excited for the Zone meeting. After that we ran to go visit Rene and Giovanni our investigators but they got home from work to late and we couldn't visit them. We then ate dinner with another member which was great. We visited Consuelo that evening and it was amazing! We finished the plan of Salvation and then focused on Baptism. Our ward mission leader was there with us and really got in their and was teaching about the holy Ghost. We then invited Consuelo to be baptized on the 18th of August and she said YES! She then asked why she couldn't be baptized on the 28th of July when her family was here. We said she could we just weren't sure how she would feel after having her injection and things. She wanted to be baptized on the 28th but yes was concerned about how it would go. We gave some suggestions on the baptism that we can baptize her in a chair or something and she said that could work but she agreed to accept the date of the 18th of August and would change it if she felt ready when we got closer to the 28th. It was so powerful though. Afterward we went to visit our ward mission leader at his house and went over the ward mission plan and what his goals were for the ward. He is on top of things, and also his wife is great! They are so excited and have so much energy. They want to call a bunch more ward missionaries. 

Wednesday: This morning we had our Zone meeting. It was so amazing. We did a training on coordination meeting and what to do and how to work better with the members. It was great! There are so many new missionaries especially sisters in the zone. I talked about the importance of attitude and how attitude is a reflection of our faith. The practice went well and the missionaries really enjoyed and appreciated the meeting and a lot of the new missionaries thanked us for training on how to work with members because they don't know how to. We felt like it was very well needed for the zone. That night we taught Edgar and it was more of a download lesson and we shared about how the Lord will provide a way for him to be able to come to church. We also went over how he can do to church in Santa Rosa and we have been working with the missionaries in Santa Rosa to get them to church up there when they are up there.

We then had our English class and it was epic. The teachers that are the members didn't show up and we had 15 people there and it was great. We were enjoying it a lot and made the students laugh and things as we taught. We then brought all of them over to the VC and did the Christus. The sisters there were surprised with the big group but loved it. The students all accepted a DVD to be brought to them of the life of Jesus Christ so hopefully we can add them as new investigators this week. 

Me and Elder Watanawongworukula on splits last week.


Thursday: This morning we ran by Edgar at his workshop and it was a good contact. He let us into the workshop and showed us the trucks he was working on. He then was telling us about his "science projects" that he was working on. That got me excited and we started to go back and forth on things he was working on and I suggested ideas to improve it and everything. It was great. He is so smart and likes building things. He was happy and we left him with a reading in his copy of the Book of Mormon in his workshop.

We then went to the office to get some map protocols done for the mission. I am also called the office IT guy. I fixed the printer of the new senior couple over housing. They also all have been discussing me in the staff meetings trying to figure out how I am going to do my transmit for my heart because they removed one of the land lines in the apartment that I have been doing it in. We were their for a while but then went to dinner with one of our members.

That was a great dinner but afterward we wanted to watch a short video from the Broadcast with her but her husband William was being a bit stubborn. He finally let us watch it and she just cried because she was telling us how tied she feels when she thinks of her eternal goals. Her husband is very very atheist and is very strong with his ways. She is having a hard time but we invited her to pray for missionary experiences with her husband. That night we visited Giovanni and it went really well. He understands the Book of Mormon so well. That night I was trying to figure out our Zone T-Shirt. Elder Bradford doesn't believe in zone shirts so he wanted nothing to do with it so I was doing it all myself. I got it all worked out with the member that does it for the Zones.

Friday: This morning I fasted so I could get the design of the shirt done. It looks really good with the Oakland tree and the temple. I will send a picture once the shirts are done. After weekly planning we went with Elder Olvera one of the senior Elders to visit Consuelo. Elder Olvera gave her a blessing of comfort. It was funny because he was giving a blessing of "Consuelo" to Consuelo. She really needed to blessing because her family of 7 is coming from Mexico Mexico on Sunday and she is really overwhelmed. We taught her the Word of Wisdom finally. I was really worried about that commandment for her to be baptized on the 28th of July. We found out that she drinks coffee once in a while but then we found out that just that morning someone offered her a cup of coffee and she drank it. Satan... I felt bad because I wish we would have taught it earlier but there was just so much going on. So she is set for the 18th of August. 

We then ate the mega dinner with the Mejia family for the Goodbye of Elder Bradford. We ate steak, chicken, shrimp, tacos and ribs. It was the biggest dinner ever. "ESTE QUEMADO" We ate so much and afterward I was stuffed. We then had a lesson with Giovanni and Rene. It was great! The Vega family came with us and they were just getting in their with the Sabbath day. Giovanni committed to talk to his boss to get Sundays off. He really wants to come. We then started exchanges with the Berkeley Elders. I went with Elder Bradshaw there to Berkeley. 



Saturday: Today was great. We had a great morning and I was really letting him lead everything because we need new district leaders and trainers and so I wanted to see and also to have him have a growing learning experience. We ate dinner with another young Berkeley member family. They made sweet and sour chicken and then some pudding that was from the church cannery. That was like being at home right there.  We only visited one person but it was a great lesson. We taught sister Blackbourn and her friend Mike. Mike was very interested in learning more about the restoration. the member that came out with us is Chris and he reminds me of Dads employees. He wouldn't stop talking in the lesson and was making jokes that were funny but very not appropriate for the moment. The funny thing is is their recent convert is named Gill. We had a great mission leader coordination that afternoon. Elder Bradshaw wasn't sure what to do but I showed him things and we practiced it that morning. We came to the meeting with suggestions of ways for us to help the ward. We got out the dusty ward mission plan in the meeting and we suggested what we wanted to do to improve the ward and the work. It was a great meeting and the ward mission leader really liked it and I suggested another idea to improve when they do their meetings. He really liked it. 

Sunday: Church was good. No one came though. Consuelo didn't come because her family got their late and so she was busy with that. That night though we found two new investigators which was a blessing. 

I am doing well. I am excited for this week because of 2 48 exchanges in san fran and Consuelo every day with her family! I love you. I am doing good but nervous for next week on transfers. I don't know if I can live up to it. We will see.
Thanks! 

Below are pictures of our Zone Activity we had last Monday.



 This is a picture of our current district.



Elder Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment