California San Francisco-Oakland Mission

I am Austin Hill. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the San Francisco/Oakland Mission Spanish speaking. I entered the Missionary Training Center on January 18, 2012. I am there for 8 weeks of language training. I will then serve in the San Francisco/Oakland areas for the rest of my 2 years. I am excited for this opportunity. This blog is updated by my mom. I am busy working, so she is doing it. She will post letters, emails and pictures that I send her.

Monday, July 29, 2013

BART, Chinese, San Fran, Illegal Drugs, and a baptismal date!!!! TRANSFERS TOO

Dear Beloved Family, "The coldest winter I ever had was the summer I had in San Francisco." 

Sounds like everyone is doing really well. You have a lot going on and have a lot of interesting adventures. I am really happy that Tyler is doing better. I pray for him to be able to get back out and everything will be good.
  
This past week was a week to remember. From Oakland to San Francisco, from Baptismal dates to miracles at "Porque Yo Creo." Speaking Chinese to Riding BART and getting clipper-ed. My name in Chinese is Shan Bo Zhanglao.  Just an overview. Now to the specifics!

Monday: Monday night was really amazing. The family of Consuelo arrived Sunday night and so Monday night we went by Edgar Fonseca and witnessed the worst robbery I have ever seen in my life. We were standing there talking with 4 guys in front of their car when all of a sudden two guys that we had seen earlier, dressed all in black trying to sneak away from the house with tons of stuff in their arms. We just all stood there watching them. They weren't running. They were like slowly sneaking away. It was really bad. The people we were talking to just said, "Don't worry about it we know that neighbor, he's a drug dealer." 

Right after that we went to visit the family of Consuelo. IT was so great. We knocked on the door and the bishop son-in-law said, "Elders, welcome." We went up and the whole family was there sitting in the family room. We sat down and got to know them and figured out what the plans were for this week. We talked about her baptism for the 18th of August and when the family was going back to Mexico. They are returning back to Mexico on the 9th of August. We looked at Consuelo's Conversion Calendar and her 3 weeks for the Word of Wisdom would end the 9th of August. She would be able to get baptized no earlier than the 11th right after the family had left. We were a little bummed about that. That night we headed to San Francisco to start exchanges with the Spanish Elders there. I stayed in my area with Elder Robinson from Concord. It was a great time to be back with him, just like old times.

So I got this call from the Cambodian Elders asking what to do with a bag of $500 of illegal drugs. What??? I told them to call President but he didn't answer, so the Elder called one of the senior couple missionaries that used to be a cop and he told them how to dispose of it. It was just bad because the Elders  took it from their less-active that wants to stop using it. He thought it would be good to give the Elders the drugs! They put the drugs in their trunk! If they would have gotten pulled over, that would have gone really bad. 

Tuesday: Today was great. We had a doctors appointment for Elder Robinson for his foot in Walnut Creek but he left his wallet back in San Fran so we had to run back there and then go to the doctors appointment. After the appointment we were able to teach Consuelo again that evening. It went really well. We taught her the law of Tithing and she accepted. Tuesday was the day of her injection but it went a lot better than she thought it would and was back in the house. The family is so amazing. The bishop is really calm and quite but powerful. The daughter sister Rodriguez was really great too. They have 5 children and they are so great little Mormon kids. We call them the little nenes. 

Wednesday: Today we went to district meeting and then right after went to dinner with the Lopez Family. We ate Tamales from Gautamala and were able to teach two non-members. The Lopez family invited two non-members to be there for dinner and as we talked with them they had questions of baptism of babies. We read in Moroni 8 and she was very interested in that. She asked for a copy of the Book of Mormon and we sent her as a referral to the sisters. The only thing is that she lived on a boat so the sisters have to visit her in the members home. 

Right after dinner we went with Brother Lopez to teach Edgar. That went well but he still is having trouble with his wife. We went in and she was there with her friend and they were pretty sick. I asked Elgar if he remembered the blessing of health we gave him and if his wife would want one. He said that that was a good idea and was going to ask her. I was praying in my heart that that would soften her heart and allow us to baptize Edgar. He went into the room with them and they told him that they didn't want anything to do with us. He came out and sat down a bit sad and just said, "Those woman just sit in my room and watch operas all night long." We don't quite know what to do now. We don't want him to get cold but its so hard with his wife not wanting to do anything and living out of the mission. 

We then went to the lesson with the two young men, Giovanni and Rene. They are great! Brother Lopez did such a good fellow-shipping job with them. We taught a lesson on receiving answers because Giovanni said he has been praying daily for an answer and hasn't received anything. Elder Robinson and I looked at each other and we both by the spirit flipped to Enos. We read that with them and helped them see that Enos had to pray for a day and a night in order to receive an answer. Prayer is a struggle and takes work. They understood that and accepted to really pray hard for an answer. We then finished the night by dropping Brother Lopez off at his house and taking Elder Robinson back to his area in San Fran.

 I had an interesting and powerful experience. When we left the car it was a bit late and I just got a sick feeling, it was uncomfortable being in San Fran. There is just a different feeling. We went up to their apartment and the second I walked into their apartment I was hit by a wall. The spirit was so strong and it was a spirit of safety, that everything is ok. When we left to go home right when I stepped out of the apartment that feeling left and I felt weird again. I told that to the other Elders and they said they get that everyday. San Fran just has a different spirit. The scriptures say that "My spirit will not always strive with man." That is true.

Thursday: Today was back with Elder Bradford. We were super busy though. We got our weekly planning done and then headed out to go drop by Consuelo. She is doing really well with the Word of Wisdom and so we called President Meredith if we could get permission to baptize her on the 4th when the family is here!!!!! We ate dinner with the Velasco family and that went really well. It went well. Our appointments fell through that night. We then headed back to San Fran for exchanges with the Chinese Elders. I went there with Elder Davidson. It was an awesome exchange. 

Friday: Today was great! I love the neighborhood in San Fran called Daly City. That afternoon we taught Kevin their baptismal candidate for Sunday. We taught him in English because he is younger so I was able to contribute. I was learning a lot of Chinese though. We talked to a ton of people all over the streets. We contacted on Ocean Ave and at College City. We didn't find anyone but it was some good finding time. We then spent the evening visiting some less-active members and old investigators. I felt like I was in a whole different mission being there. 

Saturday: Today was really fun. We left at 10:30 to go to Chinatown in downtown San Fran to teach English class. That blew my mind there. We got to BART and that was the first time I rode BART. We had CLipper cards which were fun. You use them to pay for public transportation. There were so many people on BART. It was underground too so I felt like I was riding the subways in New York. 

When we arrived in downtown and walked up the stairs from under ground and just looking up at the huge buildings just blew my mind. It was so amazing! I felt like I got transferred to another mission. We then walked the streets to grab a bus and then jumped on the sardine bus and rode to Chinatown. We got off grabbed some Chinese food and taught English class. It was great, I was called on to teach the alphabet. That was fun, there were quite a few people there. Elder Davidson is so good at Chinese. 

We had such a good time running everything around the city trying to grab a bus and then getting crammed on it. It was fun. We then rode BART back and went to a lesson with a recent convert. San Fran was really misty and foggy but never rained. It was pretty cold too. We got stuck in so much traffic because of all the baseball games and things. I wasn't able to contribute a whole lot in the contacting and teaching but I was able to do a lot and I was able to teach Elder Davidson about Accountability to the Lord and about how to evaluate yourself in order to improve. It was a really good 48 hour exchange and I learned a lot about how to really talk to everyone! We then ended exchanges at the mission office for transfer calls.

I am staying as Senior Zone Leader and my companion is none other than one of my MTC companions.....Elder O'Farrell from Ireland. 

I drove to San Fran 5 times this last week. The bridge is huge. Also Elder Bradford invited and taught the Giovani and Rene the Word of Wisdom and so Elder Bradford took all of their tea and coffee with their permission, of course, and we threw it away. 

Sunday: Today was the day of miracles. So Elder Bradford on the exchange was able to invite Consuelo to be baptized on the 4th of August and she accepted. We then before church went to pick up Consuelo's family with some other members for more ride space. The whole family was all in white shirts and ties and the little girls with their scriptures. Consuelo was all ready and had makeup on and everything. We got there to church and they all went to primary and Consuelo stayed with her grandchildren. It was the best Sunday ever. So much love! 

After church we ate with the ward and then Bishop Gonzalez and his wife (Consuelo's daughter and son-in-law) came to "Porque Yo Creo" and were the special speakers. We talked to President and put together the agenda for it. There testimonies and their story was so powerful. Consuelo couldn't come because her back was back because of sitting for so long in church. The Gonzalez family did so well, they didn't quite expect that many people but it was good. I saw Elder O'Farrell and Elder Rodriguez and also Margarito from Concord. It was a great one! President is working with us to change Porque yo creo so that we are in charge of it every time so we will see. That night we did our indicators and had a great week. I am excited for this week and for the new change.

So Consuelo will be baptized this sunday. 

Thanks family! i LOVE ALL OF YOU! TAKE CARE.


Elder Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment