California San Francisco-Oakland Mission

I am Austin Hill. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the San Francisco/Oakland Mission Spanish speaking. I entered the Missionary Training Center on January 18, 2012. I am there for 8 weeks of language training. I will then serve in the San Francisco/Oakland areas for the rest of my 2 years. I am excited for this opportunity. This blog is updated by my mom. I am busy working, so she is doing it. She will post letters, emails and pictures that I send her.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Transfers. Guess what happened? - pictures too!!!!!!!


Family,


I forgot about telling you about transfers! It was the first time I did the calls which was cool. I called all the district members on a 3 way call and told them. This was a really crazy transfer because our district has been together for 4 transfers. No one has moved in a long time. When we got the calls the Zone leaders told me, “This is crazy”. I called the district and told them. I made it really nerve racking. The missionaries were super silent just waiting for it. I went slowly through them and yeah NOT A SINGLE ONE OF US ARE MOVING! I am staying here again! This makes 6 transfers in an area! I can’t believe it but hey I’m cool with it. I love this district and I am going to be changing the areas soon because we can’t take it anymore. It’s been so annoying knocking the same doors and talking to the same people lately. People know my name and I know theirs. I can tell my companion exactly who lives where and everything.  A change will be coming!

 One really amazing experience that I did have. We contacted a young guy the other day and he had a good Christian background and things. As we talked he was blown away that we believe in a living prophet and in the Book of Mormon. We testified to him that we knew it was true and that he can come to know of its truthfulness also if he reads it and asks God. He let us come back but afterward I began to think a lot about my testimony of the Book of Mormon. That night during dinner I sat down and put to test the invitation that we give to our investigators about reading the Book of Mormon. I started with a prayer and began to read in 3 Nephi 9-11, 2 Nephi 31 and the introduction. As I read and pondered, the spirit was so strong and my mind was opened and I began to understand the Atonement more. It was amazing. As I closed I sincerely prayed and asked if the book of Mormon was true. The most amazing indescribable feeling came over me. I knew in that moment it was true. Later that night I looked at people differently with a new understanding of the Atonement. I talked to people differently. It was a very powerful experience. I am trying to improve my prayers and my understanding of God and Jesus Christ and his atonement. I want to challenge everyone who is reading this to sit down and just read a little bit in the Book of Mormon ad ponder it through and then pray and ask God with a sincere heart if it is true. We must constantly be renewing our testimony of the Book of Mormon through the Holy Ghost. If we do this we will be able to defend our beliefs and hold up to the challenges of life.  

 Not too much has happened this week. I had exchanges with the Zone leaders which was fun. We had some good stuff and found some new people. I learned a lot from him and we had a good time. This week was quick but tough. We lost every single one of our investigators this week! That amazing lady that we found last week and she came to conference, is saying that she doesn’t have time for us anymore. It just kills me! We are going to try and drop by there tonight and see what we can do. We know she felt the spirit and if we can help her remember that. It’s tough. Everyone else just dropped because of lack of interest. The grandma lady is going back to Mexico soon for a surgery so we are just waiting right now. We have been back to finding and have found a lot of new investigators that we will be visiting this next week. I am excited.

I got a little book last week that I have been putting all the "Tender mercies" of the Lord. I have been writing them all in it and it has been helping me recognize the tender mercies of the Lord.


This next transfer is going to be good and tough. Good because we are going to work and things will change and happen. Tough because my companion. My companion is the same, but he is so hard to work with. He is grea,t but complains so much and is not obedient. I am trying to teach him and work with him, but yeah.

This Wednesday I have my first 3 baptismal interviews with the sisters investigators. I am a little nervous but I am excited. I have done a lot of practices and know how to do it it’s just nervous because it’s my first. We'll see how it goes!

I don’t know what more to say. Not much happened at all this past week. Just tough and slow. It’s getting closer to Halloween and we are talking to more and more drunk people. It’s so crazy here! All the parties and music and drunk people everywhere is something else.

Hope everyone is doing well. I loved the pictures that you sent in the pills. I have so many pills right now wow. Mckenzie looks so grown up and older it blew me away. Alex is gigantic. Maylin I loved how she carried all sorts of things on the walk.

But yeah Time is flying by like crazy! The joke on me here is I am going to be a year in this area. I just look at them and laugh.... Its a good area but I want a change. I am learning a lot about being a leader. I don’t know anything and Its humbling though.

I will send you send pictures here. Spanish is doing really well here and I m happy:) Working really hard.

Yeah not the best week ever as you can tell but it was good! thanks everyone! I love you all!


Elder Hill
 Apparetly he is tired. Is that a phone book over his head?



Here he is with his MTC companions (on right) Don't know who guy is next to him. He didn't say.

Austin's district at the last district meeting....plus the senior couple who work in the employment center.
 



Zone activity. On P-day.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment