California San Francisco-Oakland Mission

I am Austin Hill. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the San Francisco/Oakland Mission Spanish speaking. I entered the Missionary Training Center on January 18, 2012. I am there for 8 weeks of language training. I will then serve in the San Francisco/Oakland areas for the rest of my 2 years. I am excited for this opportunity. This blog is updated by my mom. I am busy working, so she is doing it. She will post letters, emails and pictures that I send her.

Monday, October 1, 2012

Learning, but our area is cold.


Dear Family,

Good to hear about my family and how everything is going well! I am writing Casin (Mom’s note: His cousin.) today so I will send it today to his parents because I don’t have his address or anything. I have not gotten your package yet. I did go to the mission home a couple of times but never got around to checking for the package! No one told me either about my package being here so I don’t know hopefully I see it sometime this week. Glad to hear that Ryan got the letter. I wrote Erik also last week so he should have gotten my letter, if he checks his mail haha. Also I think so about the high school, I am not quite sure which BLVD but yeah our church is right next to the high school on Treat BLVD.

So about district meeting this week; It went better than I thought it would. Actually what happened is we talked to some of the missionaries in our district on Monday and they told me that some of the members are annoyed by us and we are losing our trust with them. That really got to me and so Tuesday we all met together as a district to work some things out. We talked for a while and figured out what has been happening and found solutions! It was really good because I really want this district to be unified and so I told them I loved them and that we must work together to grow this branch. So I was happy and we felt a lot better together. We also had interviews with the Mission president. I told him everything that I was doing with the district and also our branch and he was very impressed and said for me to keep working. It was cool he was excited for us. On Thursday we had our district meeting and I did a training on "Raising the Vision" of the leaders. I read about Captain Moroni in Alma 46 about how his armies were a little discouraged because of the situation but that Moroni stood up, raised the standard of liberty and his armies , "came running together." I explained that like Moroni and like us, we need to raise the vision of the leaders of the branch. Then the leaders can raise the vision of the members. We then practiced doing this "raising the vision" for our correlation meeting on Sunday. The Zone leaders were there also and gave us some good advice and it went really well! After district meeting we practiced our class that we were going to teach on Sunday to raise the faith of the members.

Yesterday at church we talked to the bishop about him having the power to raise the vision of the members. We invited him to raise their vision and also to remind them of our goal as a branch of 17 baptisms this year. He was excited and so when we had the class he talked about that and got the members excited. Two of the missionaries in our district taught the restoration and then shared short ways of sharing the gospel. We had talked to a member earlier who is a little less active but shares the gospel with everyone to share his testimony and his experiences with sharing the gospel. He was so nervous but he explained about his experience of overcoming drinking and how he shares his experience with everyone. It was so powerful and I was so happy for him. We are working with him to get him prepared to bless the sacrament in a few weeks. He is so excited!!!

We are excited for conference this week. That is golden for us. Investigator with a prophet present haha.

Investigators: The old lady grandma that we are teaching is doing well but we are not sure where we will be going with her. We have taught here almost 5 times and still barely on the plan of salvation. She is so old and doesn't understand a whole lot and its hard. We didn't feel comfortable with inviting her to be baptized. Her daughter-in-law is a member and we told her that and she told us that we were crazy and that she is ready. We don’t know where we will go because we can’t keep teaching her if she doesn't even understand us. We will see. Pray for her that she will understand:)

She is the only investigator that we have right now. Our district as a whole though has almost 7 baptismal dates. That is so awesome! I love my district and they are such good missionaries. I am learning a lot from them and pushing forward. Our area is so tough no-body wants to listen to us at all. We are going to be working in different areas this week and more with members for referrals. We will see what happens. The Lord is in charge of the work here.

I love everyone. Not much other than that happened.

My heart oh yeah. I sent my report the first time and when I got a call from Dr. chamberlain. I was freaking out. When he told me that the report didn’t look good and that there were some blips on it and I did not feel good. I then sent in another report that Friday. It took 30 minutes to send that one in. It wouldn't send it and that wasn’t helping. I felt really bad for making Elder Peel help me with that. Tell him thank you if you can. Everything is good though. I have been having dreams about having to go home because of a heart surgery or something so it’s weird and a little shaky but I have felt peaceful. I am doing well eating peanut butter and honey sandwiches and drinking a lot. Don’t worry I am doing well. thanks for everything family!. Thanks for sharing with me mom your experience. You haven’t failed with her. The thing that matters is that you two love each other. If you do then all is well. The Lord loves you and knows you personally like you realized. Don’t forget that. Not one of us is perfect. It’s interesting that you felt that way this week because I have too. It’s been a tough week with everything going on and our area is not doing very well. I feel like a bad missionary, but I am trying just like you are. Just love her and make sure she knows that.

Tell Mckenzie that I love her and that the Lord loves her also. I wrote to Maylin. Thanks family:) You make me happy and I hope I get that package soon. 

My Spanish has been so good this week. I dont even think anymore and I just talk to people. I can understand so well and I am more free in the language. It clicked really good this last week!

Love Elder Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment