California San Francisco-Oakland Mission

I am Austin Hill. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the San Francisco/Oakland Mission Spanish speaking. I entered the Missionary Training Center on January 18, 2012. I am there for 8 weeks of language training. I will then serve in the San Francisco/Oakland areas for the rest of my 2 years. I am excited for this opportunity. This blog is updated by my mom. I am busy working, so she is doing it. She will post letters, emails and pictures that I send her.

Monday, May 7, 2012

Investigators, unity, fixing my pink shirts and Mother's Day

Hey mom and everyone!


So this was the first week of transfers! Its been a tough, but good week. We have no new investigators, and only had 2 lessons with investigators (Carlos Jimenez). It was just a hard week. Yeah I am doing a lot better with my heart... no more worries. And yes I learned from that for sure. Thanks for the package and the new shirts. I tried the Rit stuff this morning in laundry and it fixed most of them. For some reason I have 16 shirts now..... From the shirts Adiack Soza gave me and the ones you sent and then I fixed some today. I am set.


Updates on people:
Update on carlos Jimenez: He is doing amazing again! He is progressing and doing everything he is supposed to do. His baptism is on the 26th of May so we are really getting excited for him. Yesterday in church  his wife talked to us and wants to transfer her records from her old ward to this one. That is so awesome for her to do! We found out though that Carlos, right after his baptism, has to go back to Mexico on June 6 for 6 months. He is really nervous and his wife is having a hard time with it. He knows that once he can get baptized and get the holy ghost he will be strong enough to be able to go to Mexico and not fall away. This week we are going to help teach them how to have family home evening so they can experience that for strength. He is doing so well and is so happy! He contributes in all of the classes at church and he is pretty much like a member! It is miraculous.


So we pretty much have dropped everyone we were teaching this week except for Wendlyn Mendoza and she is close to not being an investigator anymore. We have not been able to set another appointment with her. We pass by to see her and she's not home, we call her to see if we can set up an appointment and she won't give us a straight answer. We are going to give her one more chance this week to set up an appointment and then well drop her because we cant waste our time if she won't progress. Its tough but they have their agency.


Update on Gabriel the kid: Well this chamaco is the funniest guy. We found him again this week with his little side kick strapping a fridge to the back of his big caged truck...It was the funniest thing I have ever seen. He is so funny. We talked about the word of wisdom with him and he could not believe we don't drink coffee. He doesnt drink anything else but coffee. He couldn't believe it and so we gave him a testimony pamphlet of Joseph smith and also the WOW (Word of Wisdom) pamphlet. He was so funny hes like, "No, are you serious? wow. No... Really?" He is such a chamaco. Nothing has really happened with him because we can never actually sit down with him but we are making that a goal this week to do.


Marta Barajas: She dropped us this week because she is fine on her own. We came for her appointment and she wasn't happy we were their and also she started talking about something about Joseph Smith that did not make sense. She pulled out this little book and was asking questions about him because she was confused. We could not figure it out and we knew that book wasn't ours. We finally found out that it was from the Jehovah Witnesses. She then told us that she knows the Book of Mormon is true.... but she can learn about God by herself and she wants to be with all religions. She told us not to come back. Ahhhh I was like NO! We will give her time because the book of mormon will change people.


Every single one of our appointments fell through this week with investigators. That was a bummer but we were able to do a lot of contacting. We actually did teach a focus 15 family, which is a family that is less active somewhat, but needs special help from the ward and missionaries. We had a good lesson with them about family prayer. I could tell by the way the mom was reacting that they hadn't had family prayer in a long time. She got emotional at the end when we asked her to give the prayer. I shared experiences of how family prayer helped me through my heart problem. And how family prayer really brought my family together and was something we loved doing. They committed to pray as a family and the spirit was so strong and we could tell that they were wanting it. It was awesome!


This week I have been taking short naps during all of our 1 hour meal breaks. That has helped a ton because ill lay down for 20-30 minutes and wake up refreshed and ready to go it really helps so that has been good. 


We have been having trouble with contacts this week. We know that if the contact does not feel the spirit they wont invite us back. We have really thought about that a lot this week in our companionship and have done some reevaluating and so forth. We talked and practiced teaching and talking in unity. I have developed a love for my companion the last couple of days. He has been really busy being district leader and So I try to do everything I can for him to lighten his burden. When we do contacts I know that he usually takes the bulk of it and so I have been trying to talk more and get more involved. When he is speaking also I pray for him and really depend on him. I have really felt our companionship strengthen this week. Yesterday we went out to do some contacts and also to some appointments. The first guy wasn't home but we found his nephew and talked to him. It was in English so I was able to talk a lot more. This contact got me going and my confidence up.. We were asking him questions to figure out his religious background and then he started opening up and explaining that he is really not sure where the "right path" is to get to God. He wants to know the truth. When I heard this I was wanting to jump for joy. I asked him how it would change his life if he could see evidence of truth! He said oh well yeah but I don't think there is. I then pulled out the Book of Mormon an starting testifying to him. It was so powerful! He doesn't live around here but were going to pass the refer along. The next stop was to a contact that we found this week. This lady we talked to and she was kind of the same way. She was wondering which church was true! We taught about how Joseph smith had this same question and then about the restoration. We gave her a copy of the Book of Mormon. That copy was actually the one that Kelsy Carlson put her testimony in. I had to fix it up a bit but it was good. haha but yeah we found this lady (Nacny martinez) earlier this week but yesterday when we stopped by she was super busy but wanted to meet with us soon. She had been reading the pamphlet and things and wants to talk so we are really excited. As we left the porch another guy was in the yard. We started talking to him. We found out he was the ladies husband and he had the same question. we taught him and invited him to learn more. MAN THESE PEOPLE WORK TO HARD!!!! He was to busy with work working double time. He wants to meet with us this week when we meet with his wife so we will see. but yeah I knew that these people were receptive because one: the Lord was putting people in our path and also our companionship has been a lot stronger and they can feel that.


After him we talked to another lady across the street that we talked to earlier that week. We talked for a while and then they brought out chairs for us to sit down on and have a lesson. the only bad thing was is that they talked so much. It was hard to control the lesson so we didn't quite get to where we wanted. I was talking to the wife and teaching about Jesus Christ to their children. I gave them pass along pictures of Christ and they were so happy! It was so amazing to be sitting their teaching these people about truths and doing it in Spanish. Its a miracle. We had to leave and we had trouble controlling the lesson so my companion being wise said "Can we leave you with a hymn?" We sand them I am a child of God in Spanish to them. The spirit was so strong it was amazing! My singing has been really improving because we sing so much! So don't worry that I am going to scare them.


Yeah, I am doing really well and I am working hard! I am so happy also! I love everyone! I was looking at family pictures last night when I was writing in my journal and I noticed how much I miss all of you! I got a little home sick so I had to put them away.. but also I noticed how much I look like you mom! well in a manly way haha. Also I have gotten a bit bigger too. I have grown and I look a lot more like a man its weird. I love all of you!


So I read the email from Ryan and Chelsea. I can't write them back through email so Chelsea will have to send me her address. Obedience to mission rules. But also I read the email from President Wade about Mothers Day! Dia de madres! I am super excited and yes we are actually going to talk to Pablo one of the members tonight to see if we can use their computer to do skpye. Its mission approved so we will see. Its going to be a bit sketchy though will trying to log in like last time with casin and them. Ill call you Sunday night at 5 your time(I might have put 4 on the email to dad that's my time Ill call you at 5 your time.) Ill call you and see if I can figure out skype. It will have to be quick so if I remember right Ill have to know your log in number or something so right when I call tell me what to do dad. If we cant figure it out well just talk because I don't want to waste time talking to you. Its short and I want to talk to all of you! But  yeah hopefully we can do it! So Ill call you no matter what at 5 on Sunday! Love you all! Talk to you soon:) dad get skype figured out so you know what exactly to tell me if you could. that would be awesome! Love you all! but pablo might not even be able to do it so well see!


Love you all!


Elderly Hill, Austin Hill. Austin the Elder.

1 comment:

  1. Love how he signs his emails. Austin the Elder. Cute. Sounds like he is having a tough time with investigators like Ryan is. I am glad his heart is doing better. Can't wait till Sunday

    ReplyDelete