California San Francisco-Oakland Mission

I am Austin Hill. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the San Francisco/Oakland Mission Spanish speaking. I entered the Missionary Training Center on January 18, 2012. I am there for 8 weeks of language training. I will then serve in the San Francisco/Oakland areas for the rest of my 2 years. I am excited for this opportunity. This blog is updated by my mom. I am busy working, so she is doing it. She will post letters, emails and pictures that I send her.

Monday, April 30, 2012

The letter I was dreading

Austin titled his email to us, "Transfer Calls! Transfer Calls! Everybody Shout, Its transfer calls and my heart." Yeah, that last word got me. I knew it was about time to have heart trouble, but dang. I am not worried about his heart and how it is functioning, its a normal thing for Austin, but I am worried about how his heart is breaking. He is one sad, little boy who has had reality slap him in the face. I am encouraged that he is learning in face of this adversity.

**Also, Austin wants everyone to know they can email him, he just has to write back in letter form. His email is hill.austin@myldsmail.net

Dear Mom,
Thanks for the pictures and emails family. I love to see pictures of everyone! Mom is your hair red??! I couldn't tell because the picture was pix elated but you do look good! You have lost more weight then I saw you before I left! I love hearing from everyone and how everything is doing! Sounds like it has been crazy. whats going on with all of you, sounds like your getting old or something. Dad's knee, your hip and elbow. I'm praying for all of you and I hope everything goes well! I love you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. I love those chamacos in the pictures haha. Ok so this week has been different and hard. We were able to attend the temple on Tuesday because of the end of the transfer which was awesome! The Oakland temple is huge and amazing inside. wow.


We also had follow-up new missionary training. I am now not considered new anymore!


Update on investigadores and so forth:
Carlos Jemeniz: He is doing amazing. We came to family home evening at the church on Monday even without us inviting him! He is so talkative and gets along with the members. There have been people that have thought he was a member! We had a lesson with him at the chapel too on Thursday with Modesto the ward mission leader. We did a practice baptismal interview and helped him see what is was going to be like. He absolutely blew it out of the water. he is perfect! He is also going to share the gospel with his friends and get them to meet with us this week. I am excited to see what happens. He is so funny and his son carlitos is awesome! He speaks English so I talk to him. Carlos's wife is American which is funny but yeah shes a less active member but since carlos has been coming with us she has returned to church and is excited for carlos and they want to be sealed in the temple so shes shaping up! Its so awesome to see!


Carlos Valenzuela: This is the investigator that has a grandson that was having a lot of health problems. Well not much to say because we had to drop him last night. He stopped answering our calls wouldn't be there for our appointments and finally we were at his house with Pablo and he told us to leave he didn't have time anymore. So we dropped him. Its hard to drop people but its part of our purpose because we cant waist time on people that wont listen to us.


Familia Martinez (family of 3): Well....we kind of dropped them too yesterday. They weren't showing up to appointments anymore and calls were dropping. We could never get in contact with them. We finally called him and left a message and he called us back but it was past time that we allowed to use phones at night. We called him the next day and I kind of botched the phone call and he hung up. I felt horrible... So my companion just decided we were done with them.


Wendlyn Mendoza!: Well she is an old investigator of like 2 years or so. We stopped by i think last last week and she invited us in and wanted to listen again. This week we had a really good lesson with her and she had a lot of questions about baptism. I was really excited about it. She couldn't come to church because she was going to 6 flags with her daughters but were seeing how this week will go. She is not to committed to commitments but well see what happens she is really our only progressing investigator other than Carlos Jimenez.


Gabriel the Honduran: We were walking down the road and we hear, "ELDERS" and he waved us over. We started talking to him and he had met with the missionaries before but nothing happened. He was super talkative and loved to prove to us that he was from Honduras. He had to show us his drivers license from there. That's whats so amazing about my mission, I get to teach people from every country. Tell Justin I'm teaching someone from his mission! Well see how it goes with him were meeting with him tonight just a pass by and then this week so well see.


Marta Barajas: So this is the lady what is on vacation..I think that's what I said. But anyways shes back but she has been really busy with school. Its going well though with her because her husband calls us to cancel the appointment but sets another one up and tells us that she read what we invited her to read. So on Saturday we went to  her house just to pass by and see but she wasn't there. We then started heading down the stairs from the apartment and a guy asked us if we wanted cervesa (Beer) we of course said no but then started talking to them. Lo and Behold he was marta barajas husband. We had never met him before until then. We started talking to him and he was telling be about what her wife tells him and he was somewhat interested. he accepted an invitation to meet with him but well see.


So my shirts. Uhhh haha so we got a text from one the the members, Adiak Sosa. He is a returned missionary of about 2 months. He said, So I heard about your shirts and I bought you a couple you can come pick up from me tomorrow at dinner. I was like oh well thanks. yeah he bought me 4 long sleeve nice shirts and took us to dinner. I felt so bad but he was so nice and would not let me pay him back or anything. He is a really nice guy!


Transfer Calls, Transfer Calls, Everybody shout, its Transfer calls!!!
Yup we received transfer calls Saturday night. Our district leader Elder Mower leaves tomorrow which is so crazy! We are getting a new elder in our district and also a sister. Elder Bradford and I are staying in Concord same area and everything. He is also the new district leader so were excited about that. I get to see how its all run out here now. So yeah not much is changing. Also I guess the twelve apostles like missionaries to stay in areas for up to 9 months. So I'm guessing I will be in Concord for a while. I love it here though. The members are awesome! Oh so the three chamacos, Javier, Margarito and Marcial I guess are trying to find a house to rent. They all want to get out of their apartments and get a place until they get married. They crack me up! They had us as were tracting look for houses for rent. We found one and they are thinking about renting it. Its so funny and they said they will have carne asadas and all sorts of stuff to get missionary work going! We are a little nervous to put these three together though. We found Marcial and Modesto working on refacing kitchen cabinets outside their apartment. They were working hard and then we asked where margarito was and he was inside just taking a nap. Hes like 60 years old. He is so awesome! He then comes out and is like Elder Hills! He then started saying he was the jefe (boss) and telling the other two to work harder it was so funny.


Mormon helping hands! We did the Mormon helpings hands service project on Saturday morning at Heather farms!......park. Its was really fun, the whole zone was there and we laid sod most of the time. It was a lot of fun!


Sunday....So.. yeah you probably know whats coming. First don't worry because nothing happened. Saturday I felt great! Sunday I felt like I felt during the summer and all that hospital stuff. I could not even focus during church and my heart was going nuts. We had dinner at pablos and I ate a pepper which I thought was going to put me into cardiac arrest haha. It was so bad. We did some quick contacts there and then we headed home. I couldn't do it and I had to sleep. I slept from 7 to 9. I was out.


From all of this I am learning a hard lesson. My companion and I talked about it for a while. I know I have to rest and I want to because I know what will happen if I don't, but I feel so guilty and bad because I'm not working. I want to get out there and work and share the gospel and I feel like I am not a real missionary sometimes. I was thinking about it a lot and prayed about it and I came to the conclusion that I can't change any of this. This is how my mission is going to be. But I learned that instead of working hard and long, like normal missionaries, I am going to have to learn to work smart and effective. I did a lot of studying about it and prayed and read my patriarchal blessing quite a few times. I feel better but I feel like I'm not serving the Lord as I should. After studying and things, I learned a lot about me. I was thinking about how a miracle it is that I am even out here serving like I am. I am learning that with what I have I am going to have to learn to be effective. I'm relying more on the spirit and the Lord on finding people because I don't spend as much time doing it as other missionaries. This is really teaching me to trust the Lord and have faith. I am learning to rely on the spirit more. I am seeing how its going to be hard, but this will teach me lessons that I won't learn anywhere else. I am not a physical capable person (missionary), but I have the desires to help people and want to and I know the Lord will help me. Its been a good week but hard because of all this. I am happy and working hard. We are seeing how the next couple weeks are going to go because its starting to get hotter and hotter. That is wearing me out faster and faster. But I am learning a lot. Right now I am learning how to teach for understanding. I want to be able to teach so simply and plainly that people won't be confused and that the spirit can teach and testify. I really do want to be a true servant of the Lord and I am striving for it. I am letting the Lord teach me lessons even if they are tough. 


I hope everyone is doing well! I love everyone! Mckenzie sounds like you are happy and doing well. Keep winning and doing well at soccer I love you! Alex your awesome! I talked to someone yesterday named Alex and I told him about you and It made me happy! You are going to be an amazing missionary when you go. Hope your doing well, I liked the choir pictures! Mom I love you and I wish you could do that 5k. I would be there for you! I hope your elbow and hip gets better. Ill pray for you! I am excited for the garden and hope that all goes well without me haha. Excited for the package! Love all of you! Dad hope you get feeling better with your knee. I'm praying! Also don't work too hard. I know your a hard worker! I love you dad. Be slow on the knee!


Well I'll talk to everyone next week! hope everything goes well. don't worry about me! I am doing well! Love everyone!


Elder Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment