California San Francisco-Oakland Mission

I am Austin Hill. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the San Francisco/Oakland Mission Spanish speaking. I entered the Missionary Training Center on January 18, 2012. I am there for 8 weeks of language training. I will then serve in the San Francisco/Oakland areas for the rest of my 2 years. I am excited for this opportunity. This blog is updated by my mom. I am busy working, so she is doing it. She will post letters, emails and pictures that I send her.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Pink clothes

We got Austin's letter and as an added surprise a picture from his mission president. Seriously, that is the ugliest tie. I guessed it had to be one he purchased at the Goodwill as he mentioned he bought some ugly ties there.....I was right. He confirmed my suspicions in the letter.




Hey family.

Wow! I love getting your emails and getting to read them and see how everyone is doing. Dad I hope everything went well. (Jay had knee surgery today) You didn't look too happy in that picture, but I'm praying for you that everything went well and that the recovery will go as planned. Mckenzie.....wow you look absolutely beautiful! I am so so so happy to hear about you date. It made me smile to read how happy and excited you were. You are such a good and special girl. Good job for being a good date! Love you.

 Yeah I hope you got that picture from sister Lyman. Last was last night at Porque yo creo (I Believe in Christ). We went with Carlos Jimenez our investigator with that baptism. It was awesome! President Wade shared some thoughts and talked about how he begged grandpa to move him to the Spanish program but he told him, "We need English baptising missionaries too" That was funny. It was great though. I saw Elder O'farrel and Elder Foliaki again and got a picture. I got pictures with my favorite guy Margarito and Javier and Carlos. I'll send those pictures maybe today! But yeah after that fireside we went over to the Visitor's Center to finish up there with Carlos. It was aweomse! That's where that picture was. That tie is one of the ones I bought last week at Goodwill. But yeah, we did some more of the rooms at the VC and Carlos brought his son Carlitos and so I was showing him around and teaching him because he spoke English and my companion explained it to Carlos, the dad. But then we finished the Joseph Smith movie and I had to explain everything to Carlitos because he didn't really understand the Spanish. It was fun and I taught him about Jesus Christ and Jospeh Smith. 
But yeah this week has been really Good. Its been really hot though wow! Lots of water and had to take a nap. The heat is killing me. I'm doing well though don't worry.

So yes we had exchanges. I was with Elder Robinson. We did awesome! We had appointments that we went to the first night which was really good. We taught about Joseph Smith in the first one and the second lesson was with a recent convert. We taught him more in depth the plan of salvation lesson. It was really good. Elder Robinson was actually in the district of Elder Maurmen my first companion in the MTC. So he knows a lot of Spanish. I still talked a lot, but he did most of it. That night we(I) attempted to cook those butter cookies you sent. I thought, well there's only two of us and this makes like 42 cookies. So I tried to measure out enough for just us... haha. It was a long day. Let's just say we only had a cupcake pan and the cookies didn't workout and they came out like cake. We had some really interesting cupcakes. I did make the rest of them earlier this week and they turned out fine!  
Oh also I have a problem. This was not me don't worry! But all my whites are pink. We did laundry this morning and I specifically checked the washer and my clothes to make sure nothing was in there. There wasn't and so I was good and washed them. When they were done they were all pink. We soaked them in bleach this morning after to try to fix it. My garments are mostly fine, but my shirts are a little too pink. I was like you have got to be kidding me and my companion said yup thats public washers! I should be good though so don't worry and Ill fix it.

We also have cockroaches all over. We have been catching them in cups in our apartment. Its fun! I made a trap and tried to catch a monster one,but it didn't work out. I'll send those pictures soon. This week not much happened. A lot of our appointments fell through but we found a lot of people. We found a lady who was not to interested but we have taught her twice now and she prayed in the last lesson. She is on vacation now this week so well see what happens. We don't know exactly where she's at and what she understands about our purpose being there. One thing that's been pretty funny though is people's excuses. I am starting a list of the excuses I hear. I have been doing a lot better with my Spanish lately. I was able to do 5 contacts in a row yesterday and one of them I did all by myself while my companion talked to the guy's friend. It was awesome.

On Tuesday we did find a family of three. We contacted him last last week and we had a lesson with him this past week. We went in and he sat down with him, his wife and his sister. It was great we taught the restoration and they had a lot of good questions. I felt like it wasn't too bad. But we haven't been able to get back. They are always busy now and the excuses are starting. Its tough, but they have their agency and we can't force them to listen to us. 
We dropped our drunk investigator this week. We set three different appointments and every-time we showed up he was drunk and would just say sorry and that he was drunk. We were starting to get a little tired of him wasting our time. Finally, on the last time we showed up he was drunk again and he said he doesn't know if he wants to listen or change anymore and told us to not come back. We felt horrible and said that we had to drop him, but he wouldn't change. We went up to Martinez this week also and did a lot of tracting. Man, it was hot! We didn't have a whole lot of success,but we did get 2 referrals for the English Elders.
 I don't have much more time so sorry, but yeah is been great around here. We have transfers May 1-3. That will be interesting. We went out for lunch today as a district for the last time because transfers are coming. It was great. We ate at a little philly steak place. But yeah not a whole lot happened this week. Its been tough with people not coming through, but its been a learning experience. Time is flying! I got to go, sorry if this email was not too interesting and a little all over. We are short on time and we've got to get back and get things for dinner.
Love all of you! Ill send those pictures today! 
Elder Hill
P.S.
Yes, I called the mission home and they were able to get the appointment set up with the doctor. The earliest they could get it was July 26th. Its a little late, but he said he was booked up till that. It's set and we're good. Sorry for not sending that in the last letter. Love everyone! Ill hear from you next week. Good job everyone, Maylin and Alex I hope you doing well. Mom, I'll think about you when you are running the 5K without me! You will do well! Love all of you again

Elder Hill




1 comment:

  1. Totally love the tie and pink shirts! Hate the cockroaches. Ewww! Melted my heart when he told his sister she looked beautiful. How sweet is that! I am already looking forward to next Monday! They can't come soon enough and are you counting down to Mother's Day like I am?

    ReplyDelete