California San Francisco-Oakland Mission

I am Austin Hill. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the San Francisco/Oakland Mission Spanish speaking. I entered the Missionary Training Center on January 18, 2012. I am there for 8 weeks of language training. I will then serve in the San Francisco/Oakland areas for the rest of my 2 years. I am excited for this opportunity. This blog is updated by my mom. I am busy working, so she is doing it. She will post letters, emails and pictures that I send her.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Blessings of a baptism


Hey Family!  Carlos Fue bautizado como un jefe!

Thanks for the letters from everyone! I love you all so much. Thanks Mckenzie for the letter, I got a little emotional when I read that you pray for me every night, thanks. Thanks family too. I know you
pray:) That is crazy that school is getting out soon! That's so weird!
I have been out here for a while, but it doesn't feel like it, time is flying!

SO this week has been crazy but amazing!

Tuesday we went to one of the Zone Conferences to help Elder McIntire with the car inspections. It was a lot of fun to judge car cleanliness of the Elders. Elder Mcintire took us out to lunch afterward to "Five guys burgers and Fries" It was really good. I was a lot of fun that morning. We got back about 1 and changed and headed out to get working! 

We taught Margarito Gomez this week, he received the priesthood (Melchezedek) this last Sunday, so we taught him about how to give blessings and that. It was a really good experience. He is so humble and such an example to me. We found a new investigator on Monday also. We were looking for someone else, but talked to a new lady instead and had a lesson. It was good. We dont know how interested she is, but we will see tonight. We also found two more investigators. We gave them the Book of Mormon and some pamphlets last week, but we finally had a lesson with them. The father is such an amazing man. He did the readings and really likes it. He is trying to become a better father for his children and they have been looking for a different religion. They are so amazing. He wants to get baptized but she is having some trouble. We are going to invite them to be baptized with a date tonight so we will see what they say.

On Wednesday we had the baptismal interview for Carlos Jimenez. Elder SA came out from Antioch to do it at his house. It was awesome. They were finished in about 30 min. Elder SA said he would ask the question and Carlos would start testifying and explaining it, he was blown away. Carlos is such an amazing investigator. I swear he was already a member, he is so amazing. Thursday we drove out to Antioch so that Elder Bradford could do three baptismal interviews for Elder SA and ELder Van Duzer. I stayed outside with those elders and Antioch is a really cool place. Feels a lot more like Mexico! I like it. Friday

 We had Zone Conference...... We heard that the new mission president that was supposed to take over in July, has had some bad health issues come up. They had to replace him. They called a new one a few days ago. We don't know anything yet.

 We learned more about Mormon.org. We have been "commanded" to create a mormon.org profile. We are going to make it on Wednesday, so look for that sometime this week. Also the church is making a big move on this website and that is why were are supposed to make a profile. They want us to use it to help investigators learn more and see videos of real people. Also we heard, I don't know for sure, but San Francisco will be holding the The Book of Mormon musical soon. San Francisco has had billboards and taxis all of with the Book OF Mormon plastered all over it. We are getting a lot of recognition in this mission now and we are excited for the upcoming times. We learned a lot of good teaching techniques at Zone Conference too which was really good. Elder Bradford and I won second place for cleanest car, so we won 75 extra miles.

Also We saw CArlos almost ever day this week. ON Thursday we stopped by his house around dinner time when we were ending our fast with him for his baptism. We got there and he was with his Father in law and mother in law. They talked to us. They are from Atlanta, Georgia. They were so happy to see us and invited to go to dinner with them. They took us to Sizzlers! It was so good, I feel so fat with all this food we have been getting. We had a little lesson at the table about his baptism and it was really good.

Saturday! We had weekly planning and then at 3p.m. we headed over to the chapel to prepare for the baptism of Carlos. We got the font filled and all the chairs set up. The family arrived and helped getting thins put together. There were a ton from his side of the family. They are not members. They were telling us that that night before when they arrived at 3 in the morning it was like a "Mexican Tornado". We were laughing. CArlos arrived in a nice suit and tie and was so happy. We got pictures in his jumpsuit and then we started. There were so many people from his family and the branch.

 The talks were really good and one of the old sisters that taught him before sang "I Know that my Redeemer Lives" and CArlos started to cry. The spirit was so strong in that room. Then it was time for the baptism. His father-in law did the baptism and it was so powerful. I have never felt more joy seeing him being baptized. The spirit was so strong. After he was baptized and during the intermediate for them to change Elder Bradford and I did a medley of the Restoration and the Doctrine of Christ. It was so powerful! After we were done, Carlos bore his testimony. Again the spirit came into the room and was so strong. He couldnt get through it because he was so emotional. It was amazing! During his testimony he thanked us as missionaries for helping him. I didn't care about that, I was just so happy to see him happy!

After the baptism and everyone was gone, Elder Bradford and I had a kneeling prayer in the room and offered thanks. At that moment I truly understood what humility is. 

On the car ride home I was filled with so much happiness and joy. I realized that we did nothing as missionaries, it was all the spirit and the Lord. I was so amazed at the blessings that the Lord has given us. I also realized the true meaning of Moses 1:39. "This is my work and my glory to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." Heavenly Father gets his happiness from seeing us happy. With the baptism of Carlos Jimenez, I got a taste of what happiness our Heavenly father has for us. It was amazing and that happiness and joy has been fueling me ever since.

After the baptism another Mexican Tornado and two missionaries stormed Carlos's house. It was the best party ever! There was carne asada and all sorts of soup! It was so good! The whole branch was there and so we got a lot of pictures with all the new elders and all of our members there! carlos was so happy! We got a bunch of big group pictures which was really good! Those months of working on him for his baptism paid of. The Lord truly blessed us with him, happiness, and FOOD!


My companion and I are doing better. I am just loving him and working. We are doing well. Don't worry about it anymore... we are good.

Also yesterday we had the confirmation of Carlos. I was the pianist for Sacrament which was fun! When they did the conformation we were invited to join in. It was the first time I had done a confirmation.
The spirit was so strong and again I was so happy! I have never been so happy here, and its is all from serving others and seeing them happy! 

After church we went home to finish our studies and had dinner.We got a call from the sisters and they said that Carlos wanted us to call him. We called him and the first thing he said is, "Where are you? I am having a BBQ Get over here!" It was our dinner time so we ran over there and had another BBQ! SO much food! More carne asada and ice cream! We gave Carlos a hymn book and a Preach my gospel. He was so happy. We had our pictures and testimonies in the hymnal. The Father in law also took a picture of us with Carlos and is going to be sending it to you soon. I told him to send it to dad's email. So look for that.
David Mike mauss, something like that! I am so happy!

I am working hard and am doing well. I am getting a bit of allergies here which is new. I don't know what exactly it is but I am making sure because I don't want it to be strep or anything bad. I hate this because now I am like super scared without mom helping me. I am all on my own. I am watching it and if this doesn't get batter i call the mission nurse because I dont want it to affect my heart.

I love everyone! Thanks for the package love the music! I like how the cases were open, I am guessing you had to listen to it all :) That's so my family! I love you all! Thanks for everything in it too! Thanks for the pictures! That was a surprise! I have written in my journal every single day so far and plan to for the rest unless I get leadership which is super busy. So those pictures were nice to tape into my journal. Thanks everyone! I love all of you! Sorry if this is fast and short we had to find a random chapel because of the holiday everything is closed for emails. Thanks I love yoU!

One of the guys at the part was telling me all about Avengers. I was like uhhhh....He said it was really good. So happy you liked it! I will see it when I get back!
Hear from you soon!
Elder Hill

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how I missed this post last week. So happy for a baptism. Hopefully ry will at least have the chance once on his mission. Looking forward to today's letter from Austin

    ReplyDelete