California San Francisco-Oakland Mission

I am Austin Hill. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the San Francisco/Oakland Mission Spanish speaking. I entered the Missionary Training Center on January 18, 2012. I am there for 8 weeks of language training. I will then serve in the San Francisco/Oakland areas for the rest of my 2 years. I am excited for this opportunity. This blog is updated by my mom. I am busy working, so she is doing it. She will post letters, emails and pictures that I send her.

Monday, November 26, 2012

Transfers!!!! Guess what? - pictures too at the bottom


Hello family!

Sounds like you all had quite the week! All being sick and everything sounds like a bummer. I hope you all are feeling better though. I pray for you all daily. I have a lot to say this week so let me start:

So this was the last week in the transfer which is so crazy! Time has been flying by. Its getting faster and faster. On Monday I had to go to the dang foot doctor again. I have been trying to figure out my missionary medical card, because they wont accept it there... I did the cheapest thing of just having him cut it out so sorry about that. I am trying to figure this medical card out.

I also got a call from the less active lady that had problems with the husband a few weeks ago. She called me and told me that she was told that she has cancer now and has a surgery on Wednesday  I was speechless. She told us that she was going to come to the family home evening and that she wanted a blessing before her surgery. Poor Lady. 

That night we met with our main investigator that we have. It was a good lesson. We sat down with him and just asked him, "What do you want from our visits?" He began to tell us that he is going to do everything he can to come to church. He wants to be baptized, but knows he needs to fix some things before it. We did our Zone focus on him to help him come to church. We asked him why he wants to come, what does he need to do to prepare to come, and what fears does he have. It was really cool! We then had family home evening. We taught about the power of prayer, in explaining on how we can improve our prayers. We usually do it in a classroom in the church but there were so many people that we had to move to the Relief Society room. It was a really good lesson! That night we began Exchanges with the Zone leaders again. It was a really good exchange!

Tuesday (exchange): That morning we were studying for how we were going to implement the new Christmas things that are coming. In our studies we figured out that we wanted to use the "Joy to the world" video. That day we talked to everyone offering to share a Christmas message. The people still were hard, all they said was, We are Catholic or we don't have time. We would explain that our Christmas message is for everyone even people of other faiths, and talks about Christ and his mother Mary, and they still didn't have time. They were more open to listen to us with this message, but these people WORK, WORK, and WORK, and party on weekends. 

That afternoon we met with Raquel and Alfredo (the Garcia family.) We watched the Joy to the World movie and it was great with them. Afterward we asked them about their "feed my sheep" paper. They had put down a bunch of names of people they know. We had invited them to pray about the names in order to choose one who they feel is prepared. They said that they had prayed and had chosen a person! We asked them about the person and everything. It was so cool. What was a miracle was, we asked for contact information and they weren't sure on any of it. At that moment, the phone rang. It was a friend of the Garcias. They answered it and the person was just calling to check up on them. Alfredo then asked the person if they had the number of the person they chose. They DID! It was so awesome. We put down the information and invited Alfredo and to call the person and invite them to meet with us on the next Wednesday  It was so amazing. After dinner, we had some appointments that fell through, but we tried and talked to everyone. We had a lesson with the less active lady that has cancer. We taught her about faith. It was cool because I explained about my heart problem and all the surgeries that I have had. I read Psalms 3:5-6 and explained that she needs to trust God. We then gave her a blessing and the member we brought gave it. What a blessing! Later that night we had nothing to do because our appointments fell through. We had talked to a young lady earlier that day about sharing a Christmas message with her. We dropped by her house and she was there and we taught her and her cousin. It was awesome. We got home late which was bad because we ended an exchange and started another!

Wednesday was really good! I was on exchanges with Elder Robinson in my area. We had district meeting and we did it on how to do the Christmas message. We took pictures of our last district meeting together!

THANKSGIVING! We ate sooo much. We visited 4 families for 2 hours each. We ate with the first family at 11 and ate green enchiladas which were so good. We talked for a little after and then moved to the next meal. We ate ham and yams and things there which wasn't too Mexican, but it was good. I wasn't eating a lot because we had 4 appointments to eat. We were with some of the Tongan Elders also! After them, we ate with an English family! It was like being at home! They are a great family. He works for the company that hosts all the servers for Google and Yahoo etc., so they had some money. We ate a good normal American Thanksgiving. It was so good and felt at home. Took pictures and enjoyed ourselves. After that, we went to another family and ate turkey cooked Mexican style. We were so full by then. We carpooled with the other Elders all day which was fun also.

Friday we went to a baptism of the Elders because our investigator came. It was cool to be there. It was a great baptism.

Saturday we didn't do a whole lot other than a carne asada. It was sooo good, I ate a lot! We talked with the members and took a lot of pictures with everyone! That night we received transfer calls. I am happy!

Sunday was good! I felt really sick because of my toe, I need some medicine for the infection that started. I will be figuring that out today but I need the medical card first. That night though we went to the fireside at the temple called "Why I Believe." Our investigator came to it which was awesome  They talked a lot about baptism! We took a lot of pictures at the Christmas lights on Temple Hill!!

Thanks Everyone! I love you all! This last week was really great and fun! Went by fast. I would might like new garments for my birthday or something, getting a little worn.

Oh yeah Transfer calls. 3 of the missionaries are leaving this area. I am staying here with my companion again! 7 TRANSFERS HERE! I love it! I am excited to be able to work with the members again here. We are getting 2 new sisters and a new elder. We are excited. I am the oldest one in this area now.

Love you all! Elder Hill!













1 comment:

  1. So glad you had a great Thanksgiving. You are looking good and we love your attitude. Just mailed you a letter today, so there is not much more to say except "Hang in there"

    ReplyDelete