California San Francisco-Oakland Mission

I am Austin Hill. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the San Francisco/Oakland Mission Spanish speaking. I entered the Missionary Training Center on January 18, 2012. I am there for 8 weeks of language training. I will then serve in the San Francisco/Oakland areas for the rest of my 2 years. I am excited for this opportunity. This blog is updated by my mom. I am busy working, so she is doing it. She will post letters, emails and pictures that I send her.

Monday, September 3, 2012

An awesome (yet repeated) baptism, transfers and a great lesson on commitment.


 Hey Family:

I hope everything is doing well! I love all of you. Those pictures were crazy, Alex is so big what in the world?! Maylin is so cute in her little uniform.

So down to business of what happened this week.

This has been such a crazy week and so long!
Zone Conference: Elder Gay taught us so much about how to work with ward leaders more efficiently and more about the power that we have as missionaries. He said, "We have the power to astonish the world!" I learned so much from him about how to work with the ward leaders better! We were interviewed by him that morning. The Zone leaders called us and told us that our district is going to be interviewed by him. When he interviewed me he just asked me questions about, what’s hard about my mission? things like that. he gave me some tips about how to improve my language and things like that.

Familia Garcia: We saw them every single day last week before their baptism! We scheduled their baptismal interview for Thursday the day before their baptism on Friday. We moved their baptismal date up a day to reach our goals for the month of August. So on Monday we met with them them before family home evening at the church. We taught them about how to honor and obey the law. When we finished the lesson we told them how excited we were for them and happy. Before we finished Brother Garcia told us that two days ago he drank two gulps of coffee. After he had said that my heart just stopped. I never felt so much, "NOOOO". I didn’t know what to say or how to react. We asked him more details about it and everything and he said that he felt really bad and that is why he told us. The other thing that was better though about it is that he wasn't addicted to coffee and never drank it before, it was just there and he didn’t think about it. After the lesson that night we called President Meredith and talked to him and asked him what should be done. He said because of their situation and that he wasn’t addicted or anything that it would be ok to proceed. The wife, sister Garcia has been fighting and avoiding coffee. She had the addiction but the husband didn’t. president Meredith said that we could proceed with the baptism if we recommit him to live the word of wisdom and we teach it again more clearly. We did that and everything was good.

So on Thursday was their interview. This was the most touching experience I have ever had. We had the interview set for 2 in the afternoon. Because of that we weren’t able to find a member to bring them to the church. We had called everyone and no one was able to because of work. We visited the Garcia family an hour before the interview to tell them that we couldn’t find a member, and they said that they could just ride the bus and there wouldn’t be a problem. We felt so much better. As we walked out with them to the bus stop, the bus was leaving! It wouldn’t be back for another hour! The other problem we had is we had a lesson we needed to be at. We told them to wait for the next bus and that we would be back. We went to our lesson and of course the person wasn’t there. We had margarito with us also. We drove back to the bus stop to wait with them and try to find a ride. When we got back they weren’t there. We called them but they didn’t answer, so we were getting nervous. We ran to their apartment and knocked it to see if they went inside to wait or something, but no one was home. We then thought maybe the bus came early or something and they are already on their way to the chapel. As we drove to the chapel we saw them WALKING!!! It was him, his wife and then their granddaughter that is like 5 years old. He had his cane and was having trouble walk and she is almost 70 years old! It just broke my heart and it was 98 degrees outside. We drove past them and didn’t even look at them. We can’t carry investigators in our car, it’s a rule. We drove a couple streets up and parked our car. We then walked to meet them and walked to the church. As we walked we talked with them and it was such a special experience.

What got me was that they had enough faith, they knew that this was true enough to walk all the way to their baptismal interview. I thought about the stories of people walking miles to church or to the temple because they understood the importance of the church. It was the most humbling testimony building experience for me to be all there with them walking to the church. When we finally got there we had their interviews and they both passed with flying colors! The district leader was very impressed with them. We were so happy! They walked home again because they couldn’t catch the bus again. We felt so bad but they said it was worth it. It just killed me but to see the faith that they had strengthened mine! They truly are amazing and special.

THE BAPTISM: So.... the baptism. How do I want to describe this. Brother and sister Garcia chose two of the members to baptize them. One of them was MArgarito and the other was another member. Brother Garcia wanted this member to baptize him so he called him and asked him to baptize him. The member didn’t know what to say and was so happy! We got to the chapel and about 5 to get things started, fill the font etc. We got everything ready and then people started to show up. The Garcia's showed up with their son and grandchildren. We got them all dressed and everything! They were so happy and excited. The ward missionary leader directed the baptism. So many members came to support them which was awesome. Sister Garcia went first for the baptism. The member that baptized her was his first time and wasn’t quite sure what to do. He baptized her and her foot came up out of the water. She is so old and had a hard time bending back. Everyone was trying to tell the member to put his foot on her feet, but he wasn’t getting it. We had to baptize her 5 times until we got her all under the water. She didn’t care she was happy but it was tough because the members were all over and I felt bad.
(Austin and his companion Elder Rodriguez)

Margarito baptized Brother Garcia. Brother Garcia has really bad knees so he could bend at all. Margarito baptized him and the other member stayed in the water behind him to help if something went back. MArgarito did good but wasn’t able to get him all the way under. The second time they had to really push him down and took a while but got it. It was so bad but funny but good. After the baptism Brother Garcia bore his testimony and it was so strong and amazing. They didn’t care that it wasn’t perfect but that it was done. They said that they have made a commitment with God and that they will be faithful and do everything they can to uphold their covenant. They are so amazing. Words can’t describe them. I love them so much!!!! On Sunday we had their confirmation and they asked the ward mission leader to do it. We had the privilege to be up there in the circle. It was such a special experience. I was so happy for them and they were so happy and grateful. They get it and understand everything, that is the best part. They are so strong.

Transfer Calls: So we were supposed to get our calls Saturday night but we, my companion and I received them that morning from president Meredith. My companion was called as a Zone leader in San Leandro. He was shocked but I told him he would do awesome. He will be companions with his TRAINER which is so rare. After his call We received another one from President Meredith for me. He called me to be the District Leader of the Concord 4th branch. I am staying again but as the new district leader. I was super nervous but since then I have been doing everything I can to be a good district leader. It has only been 2 days but last night I did my first indicator call in report from our district to the Zone leaders. I actually did it really well because I have learned from my other companions. I have so many things I want to do for this branch and this ward. Yesterday we met with the ward mission leader and I expressed my desire to help strengthen the Ward. I told him that as district leader I would like to be able to keep in frequent contact with him to update him on things going on in the area. He said that that would be perfect and that we needed it. Before this ward never really worked with the full time missionaries too much. I also talked to him about turning the missionary classes on Thursday nights into missionary night where all the branch missionaries and the fulltime missionaries split up and visit all the less active families, recent converts and members in the ward. He said that that was an awesome idea and we will get it going the next upcoming weeks. I know I am the youngest in the district and I am a little nervous, so that is humbling me, but I recognize that God called me so he knows I can do it which gives me confidence. When I did the indicator calls last night one of the sisters told me it’s weird me being the district leader because she said I’m like her little brother. I just said oh great! yeah so I am the youngest in the district and the district leader. I have a lot to work on but I am excited to learn. I am excited.

My new companion is named Elder Borgway. I don’t have a clue who he is, but what I have heard is that he is from Argentina and doesn’t speak English very well. So that is awesome because my Spanish will increase even more. It will be a really hard but good transfer. I will learn a lot! I don’t know though because no one knows who he is.

I put a recording of my in the email, I don’t know if it will work I just wanted to try it. Don’t laugh at it but yeah :)   ***NOTE from mom: The recording was awesome! Good to hear his voice. He spoke for awhile in Spanish. He is really good!

I love everyone this week has been crazy and really busy. So much more went on more details but don’t have a whole lot of time just wanted to include the things big that happened.  DAD! dad could you write me a letter and include some of your stories or experience and some tips for me as district leader. That would be awesome! I am going to see if I can write grandpa today because I want to ask him for mission advice, like working with members, ward leaders etc. Also on some leadership tips. that would be awesome I have so much to learn oh heavens but that’s good. I am just humbled to be called and will work the hardest I can. Love you all! tell Holly I said hi and that I will write her when I can ill be really busy soon so yeah but I love the mission and I am working hard. I want to work really hard with the less actives and things because there are too many that have fallen away. Like Christ said in Luke chapter 15 "What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost until he find it? And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing."

Thanks family. Hope to hear from you soon. Can’t believe it’s already September where did time fly! Love you.

Elder Hill

P.S. I forgot to tell you some things that happened. This week was so long I forget things.

We did an activity as a Zone where we went to " De los Santos" park in Concord and drew with chalk a huge plan of salvation. It was the coolest thing ever. My companion and I drew the kingdoms of glory. So many people came to us and asked us about it, it was awesome! We then had watermelon after. It was so cool! Also we were sleeping one night at 11 at night. We heard some cop sirens and didn’t think anything because its normal. All of a sudden outside our window like 10 feet 5 cops just flew up our room lit up in red and blue, cops jumped out of their car yelling get on the ground. My companion and I just sat in front of are windows and watched 5 cops arrest some guy on a motorcycle. It was so crazy but funny. Yup that’s all!




This is what is called a Scraper - Oakland baby!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment