California San Francisco-Oakland Mission

I am Austin Hill. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the San Francisco/Oakland Mission Spanish speaking. I entered the Missionary Training Center on January 18, 2012. I am there for 8 weeks of language training. I will then serve in the San Francisco/Oakland areas for the rest of my 2 years. I am excited for this opportunity. This blog is updated by my mom. I am busy working, so she is doing it. She will post letters, emails and pictures that I send her.

Monday, September 17, 2012

A lame week


Hello family!

Thanks for the letter everyone! I really enjoy reading about how everyone is doing! This week sounds like it has been crazy. What in the world? People getting married, Nathan went to Hong Kong? Thats crazy to hear. I saw pictures of Casin and it looks like he is having an awesome time on his mission! I also got a email from Ryan which was really good to hear about! Tell Him thank you and I really enjoyed hearing from him. Tell him good luck with everything!

This week has been lame. It was a tough week and really off. I don't know what it was. It was really a long week...One of the investigators that we had, dropped us this week because his sister was coming home from her mission. She has talked to us and wants to help us get him back so we will see what happens with that. We found another investigator through a referral. The English elders sent us the referral. The lady is the grandma of the father and the mom who are members. We have only been able to teach them one time so far but we have another appointment this week on Wednesday. She is an awesome lady and the daughter-in-law is so excited. The grandma only speaks Spanish and that is why we are teaching them. It is really weird actually. We only found 2 new investigators this week. We weren't able to do a lot of knocking because we were trying to work with the members more this week, but not even the members pulled through. Its rough but fun! We had a weird experience with one of the members. We wanted to visit him anyways for a referral but he ended up calling us to see if we could visit him because he needed us to help him with something. We went over to visit him and we taught him our "Restoration 3 question" lesson that we made up to get referrals. It went well with that, because he referred us to his wife and wanted us to work on her. The thing was that he needed was he needed some help with translating for work. I didn't want to do it because it really wasn't a good use of time, but we were going to be working with his wife and things and so we decided to help him out on that. We went to his work not too far away and translated for his boss. The funny but weird thing was, was his work was a sports club. We were very careful, of course, but yeah it was weird.

This letter is mostly just wanting to vent and talk. This week has been so stressful and things have been tough and crazy. My companion is awesome but he is really shy and quiet like you said he looks like. He is 24 which I would have never guessed. This week has been tough just because I felt like I was doing everything. I read the scripture for that on the paper that Holly gave me which helped me a lot. I just hate wasting time and things like that. I truly don't want to disappoint my Heavenly Father. There were some times this week that I was talking to people and I couldn't understand them exactly and after my companion said, "That was a waste of time." It bugged me because I didn't know exactly what they were talking about and my companion never spoke. This week we are going to be working really hard and get back on track. I had a district leader/ zone leader council with the mission this week. It was a really big learning experience for me. We learned more about what it means to be a leader. We went over rules and things like that. We learned a lot about companionship and unity. After that I had an exchange with one of the Elders in my district and it went really well. On that exchange I really worked and taught him about companionship unity. He had so much more time in the mission than me. I learned so much from him on contacting. It was a good exchange. That night we had a huge ward activity for different countries. We went to that and ate food from Nicaragua, Peru, Mexico, Guatamala! It was so good! So many people came to the activity! They had a dance from every  culture which was really cool. Margarito did an awesome dance at the end! We all laughed!! We got some awesome pictures with sombreros and the people that ill try to send to you soon! They are awesome! Other than that its been a so so week. I don't feel like a good District leader because My other companion was so amazing and the elders always tell me how much they learned from him. I know I cant compare were different but I don't feel like ill be any good. Ill try!

I had my first district meeting this week! I was so nervous. I had planned something different than what I did. The thing was my companion told me that it was a good idea of what I wanted to do and we talked for a while and then we did something else. I felt bad because what I had prepared was what the district needed. I felt so dumb and that's why I was so nervous. I wont do that again.

My companion is great he is just so quite and he tells me things after they happen. I love him and we are working together good! We teach great.

That's about all. contacts are doing good every other day like you said. We are going to be going to the temple on the 13th of October for baptisms for the dead with the Garcia's. they are so excited and will receive the priesthood this Sunday! They came to the activity and brought their hot salsa from their home town. They make me so happy! I finished the Book of Mormon again this week! I love the Book of Mormon! I am going to reread it with some questions! I am excited. I hope to work hard this week and have success.

Love all of you! Good to hear. This wasn't the best letter in the world but hey:) Thanks all! talk to you soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment