California San Francisco-Oakland Mission

I am Austin Hill. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the San Francisco/Oakland Mission Spanish speaking. I entered the Missionary Training Center on January 18, 2012. I am there for 8 weeks of language training. I will then serve in the San Francisco/Oakland areas for the rest of my 2 years. I am excited for this opportunity. This blog is updated by my mom. I am busy working, so she is doing it. She will post letters, emails and pictures that I send her.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Travel papers


Family,

Thanks for everything! Sounds like all of you had a blast in St. George. I miss everyone and love everyone.
Where do I start.... Well first, off time has being flying by! It feels like it has been forever, but it's gone by so fast. We got our travel plans last Thursday actually and so that was super exciting! We have in-field orientation tomorrow and then its mostly packing and getting ready. Our Hasta Ver is on Tuesday night so I'll get a lot of pictures from that. Other than that life is good. This last week has had its ups and downs, but overall I am learning. We have had the opportunity to train the new Zone leaders this week. They are kind of just shadowing us at the moment and we''re teaching them everything. Its quite the experience. Its weird to be the oldest district. Spanish is coming along day by day, trying to speak only Spanish but its tough. Lessons are interesting. My companions have been kind of tough lately and ''Ive been having trouble with them.

I got that insurance card. Don't worry I kept forgetting to put that in my emails and letters. We had our last TRC last Friday. It was the most powerful lesson we have taught. The spirit was so strong and one of the questions we asked got the volunteer to open up and he shared some experiences and the spirit was there. He started to get emotional and then we ended by singing another song. It was powerful. Sunday was the first time I got to play the piano in church. It was so nice and refreshing. Haven't played it in the longest time.

One of the big things that happened this week was a blessing to a sister. Being Zone leader I am always looking out for all the missionaries and making sure their doing well. I noticed that the three sister were in the health office earlier this week and I guess one of the sisters had been having some interesting heart issues, short breath rapid heart beats etc. I told them if their was anything I could do just let me know and they said they were going to the doctors to get a EKG and a heart monitor thing. After their appointment I checked up on them and asked them how everything was going. She asked me about my heart problem and I explained it to the one sister and tried to figure out what she was feeling. Last night they asked for a blessing. It was powerful when I gave the blessing to this sister. I have never given a blessing to someone that has 'heart' problems before. It was weird, but also powerful. I really listened for what the Lord wanted me to say and a lot of it was, Trust the Lord and remember that He is mindful of all things. He knows whats going one and it will be ok. the spirit was really strong in that room as we gave that blessing. It was so humbling too.

I hope I can fit everything in my suitcases! I have so many books and stuff I need to fit in there. I should have enough room, but if not I'll either give it away (books and things) or send them home. Depends. I'm getting so excited to leave. I'm ready to get out of the MTC. one of the Elders in another district that left 3 weeks ago came back here after being reassigned because he got his visa. He shared how amazing the field was and things to be aware of etc. He gave me some great advice. I got so excited. He also said the first 9 months of being out there is really when you either become the missionary you need to become or you back down and give up. I want to give everything I have to the Lord and let him change me and make me into the missionary I need to be. I am beyond excited! its going to be amazing and don't worry about me mom everything will be all good. There are a total of 14 of us all going to Oakland. There is this little little sister from the Philippines that's going there, speaking English. She always talks to me in English and I try to help her. Its cool to hear that shes going there too! I will probably be Elder Maurmens companion in the airport but We will have to see. I was originally his companion. Ill let you know and I don't know when my next P-day is but I will call you probably between 6:30 and 8 Wednesday morning. Our flight is at 8:37. An elder gave me a prepaid phone card too for the phone booths so watch for my call!!!

One thing when I get to the field could you send me another journal. If not I can find one. I am already half way through my current one and its just so small. Let me know whatever works best.

Love everyone! Talk to you on Wednesday! Love YOU!!!!!! Be safe and happy!!!

Elder Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment