California San Francisco-Oakland Mission

I am Austin Hill. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the San Francisco/Oakland Mission Spanish speaking. I entered the Missionary Training Center on January 18, 2012. I am there for 8 weeks of language training. I will then serve in the San Francisco/Oakland areas for the rest of my 2 years. I am excited for this opportunity. This blog is updated by my mom. I am busy working, so she is doing it. She will post letters, emails and pictures that I send her.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Short, but sweet


This was so short. I am hoping for a hand written letter in the mail Friday or Saturday. If not, I am hoping next week will come quickly and he will have more time to write. - Laurel

Hola Mundo! Hola Familia y Amigos! I don't have a lot of time on this email so I will make it quick! Thanks dad for the email and for the pictures! Its nice to see all of you! Maylin is so cute and looks a lot older its weird! Dad you look great! Thanks for those! Oh boy the time is ticking now! We should either  get our travel plans today or next Wednesday we don't know. But yeah we have infield orientation next Friday and then we leave that following Wednesday! I am so excited, but nervous at the same time! Spanish is coming along and right now we are just mostly reviewing and so I'm starting to get a little anxious and want to just get thrown into the language head on in the field. Our lessons have been going well We had a baptism on Saturday which was awesome! Our district baptized Erik. We get to baptize Nicholas this Saturday. I'm pretty excited for that.

Isaac left on Tuesday I believe (the days are all mixed up here). We talked and hugged and we said we would see each other in two years! It was so weird. Also Jamin should be leaving this next week! I talked to him yesterday and I see him a lot. We did get to bring in the new missionaries except they were the older senior couples. It was so awesome though. We started at 9 in the morning and every car that same up some missionaries got their luggage and took them to their room and then to the main office for their badges etc. It was really nice and kind of a break from the same thing everyday.

Our 40 minute Trc was great. We taught to gentle men about the restoration. The best part of it was we sang "La Oracion Del profeta." I can't remember it in English off the top of my head, but it was so amazing! Our singing wasn't the greatest but the spirit was there. On the third verse Elder O'Farrell and I sang do..do..do..do and Elder Foliaki repeated "...Vi una clumna de luz." (The First vision) and it was so powerful! We are doing that same thing as a district in sacrament when we leave so next Sunday. Our favorite district left this last Monday so that's been really weird. We are just waiting to leave ourselves now. Everything is going well though! Pills are good right now. About the heart box I don't know yet if I will have enough room because I haven't really packed or anything to see if it would fit, but I would be fine to just carry it or whatever. I am going to find out some more today from the district president about that and if we get our travel plans. I'm fine with just carrying it though If I have enough room. I'll figure it out soon! I have been so busy lately so sorry if I didn't really answer you.

Don't have to much time but thanks mom! I loved the last letter and I got a bit emotional when you talked about doing scripture study and prayer and how you pray for me. Thanks:) I pray for all of you daily and I love you family! Alex keep it up and have fun in self defense! McKenzie you look so cute and grown up in that picture! Maylin your getting so grown up too I love all of you! Mom thanks for everything! Dad thank you so much:) Love everyone!

To Ryan: its crazy because you get here pretty dang soon! That's awesome! I cant believe how fast time flies here! Ive been here almost 8 weeks now wow! Spanish is awesome I cant understand 85% and speak pretty well. I cant spell in English anymore haha. But yup I'm out of time So I love everyone! Thanks and Adios!

Elder Hill!!! :)

Jay got a short email from him today too - Here it is!
Hola Dad! Thanks for the email! I have been praying for you and for everything to work out in work and with your clients so that is good to hear. That is really awesome about that New Data place! I'm happy that it is coming along! That's cool about the Ipad. Its been so weird I have totally forgotten about all that stuff,  I can't even remember it anymore. That's what the MTC does to you! Anywho, we have been having a lot of devotional talks by members of the 70 and our mission president and they really have been stressing technology in missionary work. They said that they are taking advantage of things such as Ipads and missionaries are increasingly able to use them. Its kind of interesting!!! That would be cool to have an Ipad to use with teaching investigators and so forth. But yeah Spanish is so awesome! Cavin (JAY's brother) emailed me and I replied in Spanish. I love this language, its been tough but with the spirit I have learned SOOOOOO much! I can give a complete lesson in Spanish (give or take) and I can understand 85% of what teachers and my investigators say! Its so awesome! I hope you knee gets better. That's no good. I will pray for you. Hope everything is going well! Keep it up dad. Thanks for everything

Love you,
Elder Austin Hill

1 comment:

  1. I posted a comment earlier, but somehow it didn't get recorded. I love email Thursdays almost as much as email Mondays. Will Austin change P Days? It helps me get through my week! :) He sounds as if he is doing so great, and getting so many experiences teaching in the MTC.

    ReplyDelete