California San Francisco-Oakland Mission

I am Austin Hill. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the San Francisco/Oakland Mission Spanish speaking. I entered the Missionary Training Center on January 18, 2012. I am there for 8 weeks of language training. I will then serve in the San Francisco/Oakland areas for the rest of my 2 years. I am excited for this opportunity. This blog is updated by my mom. I am busy working, so she is doing it. She will post letters, emails and pictures that I send her.

Monday, January 13, 2014

The very last letter of my mission.

Dear FAMILY!!!!!

I can tell that you all are very excited for Wednesday. For me, I can't even imagine it. Its just weird for me. Its been so long since I have seen seen you all! I don't know how I am going to feel either when I see you all. Things are going to change quite a bit, but it will be good. I for sure will get working with dad and helping him out. I also want to drive the kids to school and whatnot. I really need to hit the road running because I have been for 2 years. I need to rest of course but I don't want everything to stop completely. Its going to be weird not having to go go go all the time. I still am going to talk to everyone and share the gospel and do all that I can. I am really excited for all of that. 

This week has been really tough on me. Just the leaving the members, my companion etc. We also had an amazing week though! Carey was baptized on Saturday and then was confirmed on Sunday. It was a really special experience for the ward and for her. The bishop shared some really inspired words with her at the end. She being Chinese and having a lot of family opposition and her being the ONLY member in her entire family bishop helped her see that her baptism started a grand celebration in the heavens for all of her ancestors that have been waiting for years to receive the Gospel. He said that we as the missionaries have had the opportunity to be saviors on Mount Zion and as Carey goes to the temple and does her family work she can bring many souls to the gospel. It was really a great experience.

Tuesday: So we taught Gregg this morning and it was awesome. We have had some really amazing experiences lately and I have learned a lot about the power of prayer for investigators. I make trainings for fun and so I made one this week on how to help investigators receive answers to their prayers. It was awesome with Gregg. We read in Enos 1 and he related it a lot to himself. We then took it to the test and went into the chapel and invited him to pray right there and then and ask God if he should be baptized on the 1 of February. When he did he received the answer and said that He felt he needed to do some things to prepare but that God wanted him to be baptized. He committed to do everything to prepare after that prayer. The spirit is awesome!! After that we taught Emily Gonzales and that was awesome. She is super solid. That night not much happened other than teaching Scott. He is a squatter and therefore lives in a house with a bunch of other people. He is great but the lesson was difficult because of his friend that was there. Afterward we had institute and got to be with the members and set up appointments and things.

Wednesday: Today was Zone training meeting. We met with the sister training leaders, Sister Dykes and Sister Healey at the church. The zone training meeting was different, but I really enjoyed it a lot. A lot of the training was mine and Sister Dykes ideas. We did a training on "The Book of Mormon: The key to Progression." We have had a lot of trouble with missionaries understanding what a progressing investigator is and helping them to progress. 

The training started off with Brother Ridenour and Brother Bollante from the stake speaking to us about the Book of Mormon and that really added to it. Afterward we showed them a board with a ton of concerns on it. The sisters did an awesome job on that. We took a look at the concerns and then explained some things that Elder Packer taught us in Zone conference. We then proceeded to go into the gym for 2 demonstrations. 

The first one was a basketball demo. Sister Healey and I were the two coaches and sister Dykes and Elder Watkins were the basketball players. We did a demo where Elder Watkins was being trained by sister Healey but Sister Healey didn't want to push him and so Elder Watkins never progressed. He just dribbled. Sister Dykes and I though, progressed. I trained her how to dribble, shoot, do lay ups (in my suit) and it was really awesome. We showed how we have to help our investigators progress. We had an Elder be the scout for a college and he represented the District Leader making his weekly progressing calls. He would ask me how sister Dykes was progressing and I would tell him that she was shooting and doing lay ups and then he went on to ask sister Healey how Elder Watkins was doing. She told him that he was still dribbling and that he wasn't ready to shoot. He never progressed. 

We then ended and opened it up for discussion with the missionaries on how this demo of basketball being a bit funny related to missionary work. It was awesome, it really helped the missionaries see that sometimes our investigators only dribble and they never progress because we aren't inviting them or pushing them. We then did the second demo about the importance of the Book of Mormon. We had 4 groups and 4 sets of chairs lined up to represent 6 weeks of an investigators progression towards baptism. I led my group and on each week I would tell them of the invitation that the missionary extended and then the concern that the investigator had. I then had them shout out different book of Mormon scriptures that could be used to resolve the concern. By the end the result was the missionaries asking me how they could improve their study of the Book of Mormon and they committed to study harder and to memorize more scripture. It was really good! 

We then met back in the room where we began and did some follow up on the demos and then did our training on how to use the Book of Mormon. It was really good and turned out well. The stake leaders thanked us and said it was outstanding and really enjoyed it. I hope it helped the missionaries understand the importance of the Book of Mormon.  Later that day we ate dinner with Ben Cabal one of our members at a muscle restaurant. He brought a friend that we were able to teach and add as a new investigator. What a blessing!

 Later that night we also had an awesome lesson with a new investigator from the Marsh Creek sisters, Sister Goff and Sister Magnusson with a guy named Oscar. He wanted to come to the YSA ward and the sisters had found him. We taught the restoration and then did the same thing we did with Gregg. We taught about baptism and then used inspired questions to invite him to kneel right then and there and ask God if he should be baptized on the 1 of February. He did so and after he said that he felt such a peace and he accepted to be baptized. We then started a crazy exchange with Elder Cabral and Elder Proffitt.

Thursday: We got up nice and early and got to Walnut Creek to meet some of the other missionaries I am departing with and we went to the temple. It was awesome. In the Celestial room President was there and gave me a big hug and then sister Meredith shook my hand and whispered to me, "Thank you so much, you are one of our heroes." That has stuck in my mind since then.

We then after went to round table with everyone and ate pizza. It was good to see Elder Foliaki and Elder O'Farrell. We finally got back and I got back with my exchange companion. We talked to three high kids on a roof in the street for a while. That was interesting. They were telling us that we should smoke pot and that it would help us get better grades and what not. We had a good time teaching them and then let them be because they were super high. 

We then got to contact a ton of people up in some apartment complexes. We had dinner with the Brown family and we had a really good discussion of the differences between California and Utah and also the difference of being a member in those states. It was interesting and I learned some things. I like California but I also love Utah. After dinner we had missionary coordination meeting. I went on splits with Jacob, Chandler and Emily. I was using Emily's phone and felt super dumb trying to use it. I was looking for the maps and was so lost. I like my regular missionary phone. We visited the Zamora family and then Taylor and Toni. It was a really productive night us. We then ended exchanges.

Friday: We had weekly planning  and then the rest of the day was super off. Carey had to cancel because she got stuck in Concord and so we drove all the way out there and couldn't visit her. On the way we saw a wreck and helped the guy out and shared the gospel with him. Then on the freeway I got flipped off and some lady was super mad at me. I wasn't doing anything. It was because I am a Utah driver...well I am now a California driver :) We didn't teach anyone though. We ate dinner with Glen and talked about him deciding to go on a mission or not. He asked my companion for a blessing of council and so he did so. After dinner we did teach an investigator who is the fiancĂ© of a less active. It went really well and he is going to get baptized for sure. The Lord has been placing so many prepared people in our path lately.

Saturday: Today we had the baptism of Carey! We ate with Gregg at Wing Stop and I got the Atomic wings. I about died but it wasn't too bad. Gregg ate one of them and told us to call his dad and tell him to sell his stuff because we was going to die before he got home. It was fun, we read in the Book of Mormon with him and set some more expectations for his baptism!

 We then taught a girl named Indira. She is from Mexico. It was a long lesson but really good. We did the same with her and invited her to pray to know if Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. We all kneeled and she prayed and after said she felt a calm peaceful feeling and said that she believes that he is a prophet. We invited her to be baptized and she accepted but not the date because of some family opposition and culture changes she wants to pray and think about it a bit more. We have been having some really good experience with it though, inviting them right there to pray. At three we got to the church and set everything up and got the font started. She invited me to baptize her and so I did. We got pictures and she was easy to baptize. She is super skinny and small. The baptism was so powerful though, we had a huge turn out and the talks were great. Carey got a bunch of books and manuals from the relief society president. She said she felt really cool and fantastic. After the baptism our appointments all fell through so we didn't do too much with teaching. We then had transfer calls. I feel meaningless here now. At the baptism the sisters were telling me to go home and so was a member that doesn't get along with me very well. I just feel like I need to go home already.

Sunday: Today was a good day. We had 2 investigators at  church, Jaime and Gregg. It was Carey's confirmation too. Church went really well and then after we taught a member that was supposed to be invited to meet with us regularly but didn't and so it was really awkward because she was confused. We then ate at Athenas house. She is going to temple square on her mission in 2 weeks and so I am going to go and say hi to her! She is awesome and her parents are too, but they are a bit weird. I had the most uncomfortable dinner in my whole mission. It was the weirdest because I recognized her parents and finally figured it out that they randomly go to the Concord 4th branch where I used to serve, and so I met them a year ago. I sat next to the mom and across from Athena and my  companion. The whole entire dinner was super awkward because the mom was making comments about me being her son-in-law and she was touching me the whole time. She would touch my shoulder and my leg and I was getting creeped out. I moved over and she moved over. My companion was just laughing. She kept asking me if She could touch me and I told her no but she kept doing it. Athena tried to tell her to stop but her mom just said that she can do what she wants. She wasn't flirting or anything, she is just  not all there. It was good food though. Gave me creepy chills the rest of the day. We then went to "Why I believe" fireside with Athena and Cariey and a bunch of others from the ward. It was powerful! I got to see some of the missionaries and get their information. We enjoyed it and then headed home.

Well, this is it....the last letter.....I will see you all on Wednesday...I have a lot of different feelings right now and don't know what to think. I wont have changed too much so don't worry. I am still the same height and weight and look the same so it will be like I never left.

I love you all! I will be sending another package today so I can fit everything in my suitcases.

Love you all.


Elder Austin Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment