California San Francisco-Oakland Mission

I am Austin Hill. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the San Francisco/Oakland Mission Spanish speaking. I entered the Missionary Training Center on January 18, 2012. I am there for 8 weeks of language training. I will then serve in the San Francisco/Oakland areas for the rest of my 2 years. I am excited for this opportunity. This blog is updated by my mom. I am busy working, so she is doing it. She will post letters, emails and pictures that I send her.

Monday, November 4, 2013

Pretty interesting week with Halloween, baptisms and after baptism parties.

Dear family of mine,

That is very exciting that everyone is out and serving missions and doing well. I am sending an email to Ryan this week. I sent him the picture of the Romero Family last week, but I will send a letter to him this week. 

This week has been kind of weird now that the Romero family has been baptized. It got quiet. Also, it was really tough on teaching too, due to Halloween and having to stay at home and clean and then having exchanges all the way in Concord.....almost 50 miles away. We are not complaining though because we found 8 new investigators and 6 of them in one day!

The Holiday season for missionaries can be interesting, not as hard for us though because Elder Cardenas and I have been having a great time though and we made a Zone Focus this week about opening your mouth. We set a goal to have 1540 times as a zone where we open our mouths and talk to someone about the gospel. That is a lot, but we know we need to work on that a lot. Elder Aidukaitus, the general authority, promised us that if we talked to 20 people every day of our missions we would baptized twice as much.

Last night when we did the indicator calls and tallied up all the "OYM's" (open your mouths) we only got 541, but one companionship talked to 75 people which is pretty decent for where they are serving! We set a new zone focus for this week of Opening Your Mouth but a goal of 800 and the criteria is gauged to help the missionaries work on the skill of being persistent, testifying and asking questions. We are really excited because the District Leaders last night were telling us that the missionaries were really excited and the talking with so many people really changed the way they work. These zone focuses have been really inspiring. 

This week was also the week of stake report. We finished it in the wee hours of last night. That was the longest day of my life. Due to the time change, it felt an hour later and then we were doing the stake report and the key indicator calls. I was tired by the end of last night. I will have to agree, a mission is one of the most mentally taxing things I have ever done but the most rewarding. 

I am sending in a heart report tomorrow. Don't worry.

Monday: We visited one of our less-active families that are also part members. We are trying to reactivate the parents so we can baptize the kid. The lesson was for the dad. We made an addiction recovery plan with him but it didn't go to well. The member was getting a little out of control and the dad wasn't really willing to give up smoking. It was a hard lesson and we can't change him if he doesn't want to stop. We then started exchanges with our district leader. I stayed in the area with Elder Sage.

Tuesday: We have been trying to talk with everyone but it is harder than you think it is. I love talking to people though because of the responses we get. We gave a blessing of health to one of our less actives that has been struggling with every health issue you can think of. Afterward we visited another recent convert in the area and taught her about temple work and baptisms for the dead. She was really excited to be able to prepare for that and also to look for her parents and grandparents genealogy information. We ate dinner with her afterward and she made so many papusas. I love papusas and I learned last week how to make them. I am learning quite a bit on how to cook. It is hard to believe but it is true.

We taught afterward another focus fifteen member who just moved in. That night we found a new investigator from Guatemala. It was a good lesson but I don't know how committed he is to all of this. We will find out tonight in our lesson with him. We taught the Romero family though that night and it was awesome. They were so happy. We taught them about missionary work and they were so excited. We left them with a bunch of pass-along cards to give out to their friends. Also the dad Antonio said that the baptism was another answer to his prayers and that he is feeling closer to being baptized. He is so close but he won't commit to a date!

Wednesday: Today we talked to quite a bit of interesting people. We received a referral and went to contact it, but the address didn't exist. While we were there we talked to everyone that was in the street. We asked one of them if they knew anyone that was interested and they said that their neighbor was a member of our church. We didn't know that so we went over and knocked the door. We found a Mexican guy married to a Tongan lady and they were pretty off the wall. The member we had with us knew them from when they were baptized. It was interesting. They started to somewhat bash the church and started to talk about things that sounded pretty anti-Mormon. 

Afterward we taught another one of our recent converts that we hadn't seen for a while. We also taught Jaime again the uncle of Alvaro. He loved the baptism and really wants to learn more from us. We were then knocking some doors afterward and a girl came running to us yelling help and hid by the boat that was in the driveway. She was panicking and said that some guy was hitting her and she ran and asked us to protect her. It was pretty crazy and it all turned out well. (NOTE from Mom: Really? That's it? What in the heck happened?)

Thursday: Halloween!! We had a really good district meeting today. Elder Macias taught about the need for the Holy Ghost to be our third companion. It was very powerful. We taught another one of our investigators named Margarita.  She is really prepared and we taught her about the spirit world. We also added her niece as an investigator. Afterward we had the most powerful contact I have ever had on my mission with a man named Anthony. He wasn't interested when we tried to talk to him but then I said, "We know this can bless you. " He stopped and came back to us and asked us what we share. I asked him what the greatest blessing he has ever received in his life and he shared an experience with us and began to cry. We testified to him that God loves him it was a very simple contact but the spirit was so strong.

That night we ate with the Chacon family. They made some great food and pizza and noodles and everything. They told us that this next week they are going to call us for an appointment with a referral they have for us. We also when we left ran into the mom of a family we had found a while back that had dates. She said that she really wanted us to come back just her husband didn't understand everything about being baptized and got scared. What a miracle. We hope to add them this week as new investigators again. That night we spent the night cleaning the apartment and re-organizing things. 

Friday: Today we had another very long weekly planning. I love weekly planning though because it helps us see the end from the beginning. This isn't a very interesting letter but its what it is. That afternoon I interviewed two more baptismal candidates for this last Sunday. I did both of them in 30 minutes, the fastest I have ever done interviews before. That night we drove out to Concord and started our exchanges with Elder Cutler and Elder Vawdrey. 

Saturday: I was in our area with Elder Vawdrey. I have to stay in my area the majority of the exchanges because of all the bike areas and I have to have a car. This morning though we picked the Elders up and headed to Oakland for their two baptisms. It turned out well other than having the Tongan members having a baptism at the same time. ;) Some members brought one of our investigator families. It went really well and they loved it a lot. We added the mom as a new investigator. 

We then met with Elder O'Farrell, my old companion, to get some papers from him and he is doing well. It will be interesting to find out what happens to us on our last transfer. When we got back to our area we taught Jaime again, he is really depressed but when we were teaching him we mentioned about the priesthood and blessings and right then asked us if we could give him a blessing of health. It was really powerful. He had a lot of faith. Afterward we found a new investigator family also. We added 3 new investigators and then went to dinner. Below are some pictures of the dinner and party afterward. 



Dinner was interesting. It was the after party of the baptism and there was a ton of people. There was also 3 pinatas that they had. That was pretty great. It was funny for my companion that had been out for 2 weeks. He was a little surprised. That night we also found a new investigator that is a referral of the Romero family. He is so prepared. He accepted a baptismal date for the first of December. We then ended exchanges in concord. 

Sunday: Today we confirmed the Romero family and then the other two recent converts. They are so awesome! We also had randomly the cross country team of BYU Hawaii in our ward today.  A bunch of them spoke Spanish so they joined our ward. It was great though! The rest of the day we finished planning and then the stake report.

We have a lot of work going on and some great things happening. 

Thanks everyone! I love you all!

Elder Hill



No comments:

Post a Comment