California San Francisco-Oakland Mission

I am Austin Hill. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the San Francisco/Oakland Mission Spanish speaking. I entered the Missionary Training Center on January 18, 2012. I am there for 8 weeks of language training. I will then serve in the San Francisco/Oakland areas for the rest of my 2 years. I am excited for this opportunity. This blog is updated by my mom. I am busy working, so she is doing it. She will post letters, emails and pictures that I send her.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Zone meetings and a phone call


I got to talk to Austin for about 10 minutes today. He has been having some heart issues and he got permission from his President to call. It’s a medicine issue and heat issue…..at least that is what we are looking at right now. It has gotten hotter there so we are having him increase his water and we are trying different pills. If that doesn’t work he will send in another heart report and see the doctor. We are praying hard.


Dear Family,

Happy birthday dad! I hope you enjoy it! This week has been a good week. We had a lot of business and things to do but we still were able to focus on our ministry in our own area. I was able to send an email to Holly and to Erik. Holly has been emailing me so that has been good. I hope Erik gets my email. I am not sure but what was Tyler's email? 

So this week.
Tuesday: after we sent our emails we went to do some finding but were not able to teach anyone right then. We talked to a lot of people and were able to set some return appointments which was good. we then had dinner with a member and then headed out to Berkeley to do a Baptismal Interview for a Chinese brother in the Singles ward. It went really well. elder Bradford did the interview and I was outside the door doing calls and planning and things. That took up most of our night. We finished up at the mission office finishing our Zone meeting agenda for Wednesday. We were really excited about the zone meeting. 

Wednesday: This morning we got up to the temple to the stake center and set up the rooms for the Zone Meeting. At 10:00 we had a district Leader Council with all of the district Leaders in the Zone. We went over business items and also accountability. We have a big stake wide Mormon Helping hands project this Saturday which we've been working with the Stake to get missionary representation there. We were able to talk about that with them and get things arranged. At 11:00 we began the Zone Meeting. i was conducting the meeting and we started with introducing everyone that was new to the Zone. Other Zone Leaders laugh because we have the biggest zone that they call our zone meeting a mini Zone conference. It really is. We have 30 missionaries in our Zone so it is a big meeting.

After introducing everyone I led into the accountability portion of the meeting and then the district leaders gave their accountability for their individual districts. When that was finished we went into business items for the Zone, the stake and the mission calendar things. We had some of the missionaries share some of their finding miracles with the Zone to get them inspired and excited for the finding focus this month. We then had 2 testimonies from the 2 Elders that are going home this next transfer so that really brought in the spirit. After their testimonies we went into the training. we trained on "The gospel of Jesus Christ  and focused on repentance. It was a really good training. I was really bold as we taught it and I felt that we really taught to the needs of the missionaries. as we practiced I did the practice and I taught Elder Bradford about the doctrine of how to repent and how that God gives us more opportunities to repent when we don't do it the first time.

After the practice we had the missionaries evaluate me and they said that they thought that is was very powerful and that it was something that their investigators really needed at that moment. We then got into our groups and practiced. I love giving Zone meeting it is so uplifting and so inspiring. After Zone meeting Elder Bradford had to do some registration for classes so that took a while. that night we taught Miriam and Juan again and that was horrible. we wanted to leave in the middle of the lesson just because the spirit wasn't there and he was abusing the daughter of Miriam. Afterward we evaluated and we really should have said something and just left it was just really bad. we learned from that experience but also felt bad for that family. 

Thursday: we did a lot of finding today and it was really good. we talked to a ton of people. Nothing really amazing or anything happened though. When we headed back for dinner we talked to a lady selling strawberries and I ended buying a box of them. They were really cheap but now we have soooo many strawberries. We have been making smoothies every morning which is so good! that night we taught the ward missionary class and taught them how to invite investigators to church. It was great! 

Friday: Today we had interviews with President Meredith. They were really good, we talked about the zone and me personally also. I am doing well but I feel like I am slacking a lot in what the Lord expects of me. I feel like I am not being who I can be and that i am wasting this time as a zone leader. I am really trying to fix that but it’s tough. I go on exchanges and when we finish I feel guilty because it wasn't very good. Elder Bradford and I talked a lot about that last night and it was really good. I came to some good conclusions that I have strengths that other missionaries don't and I need to find those strengths. I just feel like I am piggy backing elder Bradford's work. It’s been really tough lately. That night I had a baptismal interview that I did and it went really well! We are excited for the success in the zone lately. 

Saturday: Today I was on exchanges with a newer Elder. It was OK . We had a ward activity so we headed up to the temple to be there. We had to cover for the sisters investigator because the sisters were locked in the visitors center. that investigator is Miriam. she really enjoyed it, she brought her daughter too. we took them on a tour of the temple, around it and on top of it and things. it was really good for her to see. She brought her copy of the book of Mormon and was reading it later after the sisters came and we left. I was explaining about the temple and about eternal families and she just said, "Yeah that's what we do in Judaism but not quite like that." The rest of the day was filled with fallen through appointments. We talked to a lot of people though which was really good. We were with a member and he told my companion, that didn't speak Spanish, that he will give him some food that will make him speak Spanish  so later when we dropped the member off they gave us a bowl of pisole which is a soup with hominy and pigs feet. My companion just about died. It was really funny. Oh sooo good. 

Sunday: Today was super stressful  again every one of our investigators couldn't come due to emergencies in work and things. It was fast Sunday and I was fasting up until about 12:30 when my blood sugar just tanked and we had to go get some candy. I decided from then that I probably won’t fast anymore it’s just too hard. so this letter is getting too long so I will just make this short. we taught the class of the high priests which was good! also we gave the intermediate at a baptism. 

I am doing well! Thanks everyone I love you all! I have lots of exchanges this coming week and the big service project so i am excited. 

love you family, elder Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment