California San Francisco-Oakland Mission

I am Austin Hill. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the San Francisco/Oakland Mission Spanish speaking. I entered the Missionary Training Center on January 18, 2012. I am there for 8 weeks of language training. I will then serve in the San Francisco/Oakland areas for the rest of my 2 years. I am excited for this opportunity. This blog is updated by my mom. I am busy working, so she is doing it. She will post letters, emails and pictures that I send her.

Monday, August 13, 2012

7 months?! Already..... and pictures



7 Months? Oh yeah! That is so crazy to think about, but I don’t want to because I love it too much here! Sounds like everyone in the world is leaving on their missions! That is so awesome, but I feel so old… what in the world?! I am excited about Erik! Can’t wait to hear where he is going. Austin  leaves pretty soon too which is crazy! Dang, I will be at a year when everyone will be finally out. I am so old..! Loved the pictures you sent. Everybody looks awesome. Alex sounds like he is getting big and I’m going to come home and going to be in trouble!

So this week was pretty amazing I will have to say!

The Garcia Family is doing absolutely fantastic! They are truly a golden family. I have never been able to imagine what someone would be like who is golden. So we went to the Visitor Center with them and wow, they were amazing! We watched the Joseph Smith movie. After we asked them what they learned or what they thought. Brother Garcia said, "I Agree with the father at the end. I don't have to see Joseph Smith to know that he was a Prophet." Elder Rodriguez and I just looked at each other. We were blown away! We then went around on the top of the temple and they loved it. On the way back we asked them to be baptized. They said they have the faith to do it but they will pray tonight and call us. So that next day they called us and said yes! They are going to be getting baptized on the first of September! They are so amazing. We have taught them about 4 times this week. They are older so they don't work or anything so it’s easy to just visit them. We got them a huge copy of the Book of Mormon so they can read it. One day when we were tracting there and we walked by their apartment we could hear him reading the Book of Mormon out loud! We were so happy. Elder Rodriguez and I are having some fun times and we love each other it’s so awesome! We have been posting English class fliers all over the city of Concord. We talk to people about learning English and they all of a sudden want to talk to us. We have been having so many people call us and sign up which is really good. We have all the supplies ready and were starting the first class this  Saturday so we will see what happens.

We found a lady last last week and finally started teaching her this week. We taught her the first time but didn't have a whole lot of time so we did the restoration really quick. The next lesson we were going to teach her the plan of salvation but she invited her friend to join so we retaught the restoration by watching the video. The husband also joined in which was really cool. They are interested and are reading in the Book of Mormon but we are not quite sure if it will go anywhere more than now.

The Garcia family wasn’t able to come to church this Sunday which was sad but they had unexpected family show up. They are still ok to be baptized but they got to come next week and the next. They love the church and we will be going to the VC again this Saturday with them because he wants to learn more about the coming of Christ to the Americas. Last night we read 3 Nephi with them again and they loved it so much. They said they knew it was true and when he prayed at the end I have never heard more of a heartfelt prayer where you really talk to our Heavenly Father. He is such an amazing man. Those two have made me more happy than anything.

So interesting things that happened this week…. We asked Brother Garcia if he knew anyone that we could go visit. He told us he knew someone that spoke Spanish in his apartment complex. So we went and contacted him. Brother Garcia didn't know the guy that well other than an acquaintance at the swimming pool. We went to go contact the guy. It ended up that he was his own pastor of his church. Yeah he did not like us very much. My companion took over most of it because it was so strong so I felt better. As we talked, the guy asked my companion if this kid over here even spoke Spanish. I just nodded my head and smiled a little. He was telling us that Joseph smith wrote the Book of Mormon and his new Bible and that he created a new Jesus that we worship. He kept telling us that we needed to repent and search for the true Christ. It started to get a little heated which is not good because the spirit will leave. At one point I finally just testified to him with everything I had that Joseph Smith was called as a prophet of God and that the Book of Mormon is true and that we do have a living prophet on the earth. I testified of the Savior also. Right after I finished, he looked at me sort of shocked, one that I spoke Spanish and then two because when I finished he said, "Unbelievable, that is just crazy. I can’t even believe it!" I told him that I understood Spanish and so he started almost yelling at me that he couldn’t believe that I would be so blinded at the truth. He told me to repent and to search for the true Christ. I just smiled and my companion said that we have found him and that’s why we are here. He wasn’t very happy. He told us to have a good day and we left. I wasn't the best thing in the world. We tried to stop it numerous times but he wouldn't stop it. It was a learning experience for me though. It really strengthened my testimony as I stood up for the truth even though he told me that I was crazy and out of my mind. I left with my testimony strengthened that I know that this church is true.

My companion and I are doing awesome! We love each other and are working great together. We know each other well enough now and we are laughing and everything. It is so awesome! I have been watching the church videos in Spanish from Spain, Portuguese, Italian and Swedish. I am surprised that I can actually understand Portuguese and Italian to an extent. Also Catalan because my companion speaks it so much.  

This week was a really good week. I love everyone and I hope to hear from you soon! About my contacts..... oops. I haven't gotten there yet. I will soon though don't worry.

This letter wasn't as detailed because I have so much on my mind with people and investigators, but yeah.

I did get the package and it was awesome thank you. My companion loved the straws and the milk straws. Oh dear. Hope to hear form Erik haven't gotten anything from him and I am almost out of time so I’ll read it next week. Love you all! Hear from you soon!

With love,
Elder Hills





Here is Austin with his district. They are the group that serve with him in Concord.



Here he is at the Oakland LDS Temple. He is with a family he is teaching.


No comments:

Post a Comment