California San Francisco-Oakland Mission

I am Austin Hill. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the San Francisco/Oakland Mission Spanish speaking. I entered the Missionary Training Center on January 18, 2012. I am there for 8 weeks of language training. I will then serve in the San Francisco/Oakland areas for the rest of my 2 years. I am excited for this opportunity. This blog is updated by my mom. I am busy working, so she is doing it. She will post letters, emails and pictures that I send her.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Heart Doctor's appointment and fallen through appointments!


Hey everyone!

I am doing a lot better this week. It was still tough but I am doing awesome! Not too much happened this last week. Good to hear from all of you! Glad everyone is doing well. That makes me happy to hear about Tyler inviting you to his birthday party! Thanks for taking my place :P

So my doctor’s appointment. The Doctor told me that he would call you today hopefully so listen for it. He will probably call the home phone. Everything went well though, my pacemaker is doing well when they did all the tests. Battery is still doing fine. They were getting acquainted with me and the settings for my pacemaker. Doctor Chamberlain called me earlier that week to tell me that the doctor wanted me to come early at 11:30 instead of 1 so they would have more time with me. What’s that supposed to mean? They listened to me did the EKG and things. The Echo they didn't do because they said that I had one recently before I left and that From everything else it was doing good. I told them what I needed and that's what they told me but yeah. They scared me when they were asking me about my pulmonary valve after they were listening to me. They just asked in what shape it was after my last surgery. I explained that to them and they said it was fine but it would be something they will need to watch. That was something Doctor Etheridge probably told them. So yeah it went well said I looked good and everything. Doctor Terrel is really nice and awesome. I wasn't worried at all.

So you asked about Elvira. We still don't know what is going on with her. She tells us that she has received answers and knows but then says she received the same thing about her church. We explained to her about answers and what "true intention" means but she still said she doesn't know and wants an answer. We are getting the Book of Mormon on disc for her from one of the members hopefully. We will see if that will change anything with her but I don't know.

That Erika lady dropped us a while ago so yeah. No much there.

We lost so many investigators this week ha. We also found a lot of people. We are losing our investigators after the second lesson. We also found a new investigator. We were sitting in a Fireside on Sunday and we received a call. We answered it and the guy wanted to meet with us this week in the church! We asked him, "Are you sure, This is the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." He told us yes and that he wanted to meet with us. We met with him on Wednesday at the church. He was there and it went well. The only thing is that he is looking for a job and so we aren't quite sure what are his intentions. The lesson went well but he is always asking us about if we found a job for him. He met with us at the employment center and we showed him around and then had a small lesson with him. He read which was good but he still won’t let us see him again. We call him every day to make daily contact and set a lesson but he just asks us if we found him a job and when we say no he has to go. We don't know what were going to do ha-ha. That night also we found a young kid. He had a beard so we thought he was a lot older than he was. We taught him and it went really well! He let us come back and we taught him the plan of salvation. He said he wants to have his sins erased through baptism and so he accepted a baptismal date. Since then we have lost contact with him. We also found out he was 14 so we need parental permission first.

All of our investigators we have are good but they aren't solid. We have like 1 or 2 lessons with them and then they disappear. It’s tough but we are continuing to work at it.

On Saturday we did service for the Vindell family! It was really good. We cleaned and weeded their front yard. It felt so good to weed! I didn't realize how much I missed doing that kind of work. We were there most of the afternoon. Sister vindell was so happy and grateful. We invited them to come to a baptism for the Elders that night. They came and it was awesome! We weren't able to stay because we had a lesson. The lesson was with a lady from Brazil. She was being taught by the English elders but it was getting too hard to teach her. We met her and the other elders at the church and we taught her the first lesson in Spanish. I could actually understand what she was saying (most of it) Portuguese isn't too much different from Spanish so it was good. She could understand us perfectly. We are teaching her again tonight so we will see how it goes with her. I love this mission because we knocked a single street and we found, Chinese, Persian, Latinos, angry Americans, and all sorts of people. Buddhist, atheist, catholic, Christian, Jehovah wittiness. We have to look for the Latinos but we find about everything!

I'm really trying to be a better missionary. My Spanish like fell out of my head this last week ha so I’m trying to find it.  Also this week my companion wants to lose weight so we are going to only be eating fruit and vegetables this week...I told him I don't want to lose weight if I do I would die but he wants to.

Last night he was asking me about if I had a girlfriend. I told him no, just a friend that was a girl. He was asking me about her and my other friends that are girls and things about the girls in Utah because he wants to come back there for school. He asked me if my friend had a Facebook and I told him no. I told him that she didn't even really have a phone or anything. He then said, "What the heck, Does she live in a tree or something!" I was laughing so hard. I thought my friend would think that was funny.

The mission is hard, like right now I am having a lot of trouble with my companion and the language. It’s tough! I love everyone and hope to hear from you soon.

Elder Hills <Concord cuarto>

No comments:

Post a Comment