Hey MOM!
Yes I wrote a letter that has a letter for everyone in our family in it! I sent it this morning so you should get it soon!
Laundry went well today and I didn't have a problem! Thanks for preparing me because a lot of the other boys didn't even know how to make a bed with the sheets!
It has been so amazing here! My companion advanced on Tuesday so I got put into a threesome companionship. It's really hard! We taught Santiago yesterday and so I didn't know where my two companions were really at with the progression of the investigator. It was new to me. She (our teacher) tried to tell me everything and catch me up. We have a "baptism" date set for Feb 11 and so we are just teaching the rest of the lessons now. Yesterday we taught Santiago and we planned on teaching him about repentance, but we got thrown off track for a bit. At first we asked him how his praying was going. He said he prayed and had a good feeling and now knows that God exists. We then asked him if he started reading his Book of Mormon that we gave him. This is where we got off track. He said "I don't know where to start." I guess my companions didn't really explain that. Santiago can't read very well so that was why he was confused. I explained to him that we start in first Nephi and that we read from there. I also explained the Book of Mormon is split up into many smaller books inside the one big book. He understood that. Then we told him that if he would read some in Nephi and then read Moroni 10:3-5 and pray about it he could know of the truth of the Book of Mormon. We testified that if he would pray he would receive an answer. It was really amazing! I was surprised that I taught the whole lesson in complete Spanish. I know it was the Spirit and the Gift of tongues. It was amazing.
Afterward we had a bit of a companion problem and so we had companionship inventory. I have really been having a hard time with this three person companionship. They were best friends before and then I got put in. They like me a lot and everything, but its just awkward a lot of the time because I'm by myself since they are used to being together. During the lessons is when it gets tough because they can't really speak Spanish at all and I can. Its hard because they are kind of rude about me being able to speak more... Other than that this has been an amazing experience!
I am learning so much about the gospel and about my purpose as a missionary. Our district is pretty funny! One of the elders doesn't really like me though and he is always sarcastic to me and makes fun of what I say, but other than that it's great! Yesterday we had Hermana Nelson come in and teach us verb conjugations! It was so much fun. We all would write the conjugations on the board and see who got it right! She was pretty funny! I did pretty well thanks to Mrs. Updike!
Also Elder Foliaki wrote a bunch of sayings on a piece on paper that we're super tiny! He taped the paper on the peep hole of our door! So when people look into the peep hole to see what we're doing it either says, "Eat more Chicken, with a cow picture," or "We're preparing to baptize Santiago." Etc It is so funny!!! It looks really cool too!
I have really been learning the language though! I will have to contribute a lot of my ability to memorize to Ms. Updike and Haymond for sure! I memorized Joseph Smith's account of the first vision in Spanish! I also can understand about 80% of what people are saying which is really good!
Yesterday also we had a district devotional and Brother Hatch told us about how our mission will be the hardest thing of our lives, but the best. Also that the MTC will be the hardest part of your mission and that the first couple of days in the MTC are the hardest. All I got from the lesson was that missions are extremely hard, but we must press forward and have faith and that I have covenanted in the pre-mortal life with those people that are waiting for me to teach them in Oakland. It is my duty to bring them the gospel. Learning a new language is a blessing and will help me in my later life but we are learning it for the people. We have been called to bring those people the message of the restored gospel in their native tongue. It is a very great opportunity!
We also had a lot of fun in our residences! In our rooms there are things called "Narnia holes." They are for instance, holes in the walls that are behind metal plate covers or light switches. There are some on top of our dressers in secret places. We have found squirt guns, stuffed animals, a Christmas tie and a race car hidden in these secret holes! It is pretty funny!! Also they taught us how to play the key game which is super annoying until you can figure it out! The people here are really amazing!
Spanish has been really great to learn! I have a lot to learn ahead of me but I'm learning a lot! The gift of tongues is really starting to show! Its funny because my roommates and I have been complaining that once your head hits the pillow to go to sleep everything you think is in Spanish! Its awesome and annoying! My dreams have been in Spanish! I wake up speaking it too haha! I'm learning it!
Mom I am doing well! Eating well, staying away from sugar and such. I have been working out. We did a service project yesterday where we cleaned the gym windows. I need you to send me my baptismal clothes (Tie, pants, shoes I think). I am supposed to have them. I am having to rent them today for the temple, but yes I can have them! Thanks! and thanks for the package it was very thoughtful! Thanks everyone! I love you mom and dad and Alex and McKenzie and Maylin! I hope you are all doing well! I hope to talk and hear from you soon!
I wrote Holly today so hopefully I'll hear from her soon!
Love you all,
Your Elder; Elder Austin Jay HILL! :)
California San Francisco-Oakland Mission
I am Austin Hill. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the San Francisco/Oakland Mission Spanish speaking. I entered the Missionary Training Center on January 18, 2012. I am there for 8 weeks of language training. I will then serve in the San Francisco/Oakland areas for the rest of my 2 years. I am excited for this opportunity. This blog is updated by my mom. I am busy working, so she is doing it. She will post letters, emails and pictures that I send her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment